Adding a new light to existing light switch....2 Pole switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to add a pendant light to a room that has an existing light fixture. The room has one light switch. The house is 140 years old and the wires are not color coded. The switch itself has two wires running into it. I have installed the new light to the ceiling and attached the wiring to the light. The difficulty I'm having is replacing the existing switch with a single unit that has two single pole switches on it. I would like each switch to control each light separately. The new wiring I purchased has a ground wire, white, and black. I have replaced many light fixtures with ease, but I'm needing some help with this. Please help...expalin it to me as you would a child (duh)....
If this is not possible, could I...
1.) Add a new single pole switch to control the new light (again I would need your assistance with the wiring specifics)
or 2.)Convert the wall outlet to a switch and wire the new light into that (again, I would need the specifics)

Thanks!
-Matthew
p.s.....In the USA

Sponsored Links
well, yankee sparky will be about soon...

btw, 140 years old, and none of the wire is colour coded...its been rewired i take it? you dont have 100 year old cables right.. :eek:

It's old knob and tube wiring.....I know I need to have the place rewired, but until I have any children I can sell into slavery, I need to do the cheap fix.

Sponsored Links
cheap is not always a good idea, sometimes dangerous. what if you touch the cables and the inulation breaks or falls off?

sorry but i would suggest you scimp and save for the rewire

Back