Adding a ring main circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi hope you can help?
I am wanting to add a ring circuit (approx 4 sockets). Currently someone already wired a double socket outlet directly from the fuse box using just a single Twin and earth 2.5mm cable, connected to the fuse that is used for the existing ring main. If I use that to go from and go on and create a ring with an additional 4 socket outlets can I just end that ring back by running from the last socket in the ring a twin and earth cable back to the fuse box and connect where the current one is connected ?, or does it need to have its own fuse? Guess difference is a new ring on existing ring main fuse or new ring on its own fuse. Hope you can help :)

Sponsored Links
what you appear to have is a ring with a spur.

why not just extend the ring, much easier (assuming floor area is less than 100m)

If this is not the ring and as you say a spur off either the existing ring or just seperately connected to a different fuse - then guess i can either create a new ring with its own fuse, or can I disconnect the tails from one of the existing ring mains at the consumer unit - connect into a junction box and then run from there into the new ring and finally back into the existing ring...hence break the existing ring extend it and bring it back to the existing ring main fuse connection.. hope I make that clear enough?

you could do that, however make sure the floor space is under 100M^2

if there is a space available, i would make it into a new ring

Sponsored Links
two rings on a fuse is not a recognised cuircuit design but its not in any way dangerous. As for regs compliance once you get outside of recognised cuircuit designs the regs become quite open to interpretation. I know at least one sparky who failed a cuircuit in a pir only to be overridden by the niceic.

if you have a spare fuseway availible then don't put two rings on the same fuse but if you don't then to be frank putting two rings on a fuse isn't dangerous and bringing yoru installation up to date with current regs would probablly require a new CU anyway for rcd protection reasons

Ok so last word from me... so just to be clear I have a choice - if I can connect new ring to its own fuse in the consumer unit, or if not break the existing ring removing the taisl from the consumer unit add a junction box and extend out to the new ring and back if not more than 100M^2 floor space. Otherwise have two rings in one circuit and one fuse....

again appreciate all your help.

no, have one very big ring one fuse it is the best / safest way
try a search its actually quite easy

plugwash said:
two rings on a fuse is not a recognised cuircuit design but its not in any way dangerous.
Mr Jobsworth inspector might consider that a bridge. It all depends where you test from.

brown-nought said:
plugwash said:
two rings on a fuse is not a recognised cuircuit design but its not in any way dangerous.
Mr Jobsworth inspector might consider that a bridge. It all depends where you test from.

Mr jobsworth inspector would have failed it on lack of rcd ANYWAY

and when mr electrican comes to bring the install up to current standards he will probablly put in a new CU anyway.

brown-nought said:
plugwash said:

who would be 'Mr Jobsworth'

Just in case anyone is looking at this question now, it's worth pointing out that the "100m2 rule" was at that time only a 'guideline', and today one should not use it. Calculate each case using Appendix's in IEE 17th ed. Also, whereas in 2004 you might have got away with bunging more than one final circuit on 1 way, today that's is a definite 'no-no' :- regs say 1 final circuit per way.

So in this particular case you would have to either extend the ring [if your calculations allowed that] or create a new ring, on a separate way.

Welcome RiRa.

So in this particular case you would have to either extend the ring [if your calculations allowed that] or create a new ring, on a separate way.
I don't expect Paul Matthews is still trying to decide what to do.... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back