Adding a Socket For cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought this was easy...then I read some of the posts in this forum.
I have just installed a cooker Hood.I want to add a single socket to the ring circuit to run it. I live in a bungalow so I was going to put the socket in the loft directly above it, drill a hole in the ceiling then plug it in (Chimney on cooker hood hides drilled hole) I also thought the socket would come in handy in the loft. I can see the ring main cable in the loft going in & out of a socket in the living room along and the in & out of a socket in the kitchen. I would be adding the 30 amp junction box to run the new socket halfway between these two sockets. And obviously the new socket would then be attached to the wall in the loft close to the newly added junction box.

So my questions are:
1.Does what I'm doing sound correct?
2.Am I breaking any of the new electric building regs?

Thanks In advance

Sponsored Links
You need to be able to kill power to that hood from within 2 metres of the hood.

Fit a 20 amp switch next to the socket you are spurring off, and wire the single socket from this. Fit the socket inside the cooker hood chimney.

An yes, you are in violation of part p of the building regulations by doing this yourself unless you notify LABC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back