adding a spur - am i doing it right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
in my living room i currently have 2 x double plug sockets.

i want to take a spur off one of them using a junction box and 2.5mm twin & earth cable to fit a double socket on the other side of the room.

the double socket will be running tv , video , dvd player , hifi.

am i doing it the righ way and is the cable i am using right?

cheerz

Sponsored Links
Use an Unswitched fuse-connection unit to run the spur instead of the junction box, looks neater if exposed, and safer too, as the 13amp fuse protects the otherwise vulrenable spur.

A double socket can potentially supply 26 amps - a single 2.5.sq.mm. cable can only take around 20 amps if enclosed in a wall/conduit etc.

I do it as you say with a junction box or via the back of the socket, best still keep it in the ring.. I'd disagree about going via an FCU.

David

If you can get to the back of one of the dbl sockets, why not take an "non-fused spur" wired directly into the terminals of the dbl socket.
As this will be only protected by the main MCB / Fuse (32A )you should then (I wait to be corrected) use a 4mm sq T&E. as per Table 8A, Appx8 on site guide.

If you go for the Fused Spur Option then the Total demand will be limited to 13A fuse in the FCU, thus 2.5mm sq T&E will be ok.

Sponsored Links
No need for 4 sqmm, which will be a squeeze. 2.5 sq mm is okay for a spur to a single accessory anyway, as the maximum load will be 2 x 13 = 26A and 2,5 will safely carry 27A clipped direct, which is the applicable reference method for most domestic installs. (And the official max rating of even a twin socket is still only 13A anyway)

But do it right and install it as part of the ring, which you will, naturally, test for continuity, insulation resistance and earth fault loop impedance as a matter of course, won't you?

dingbat said:
(And the official max rating of even a twin socket is still only 13A anyway)
Just re-read OSG, and stand corrected, i see the reference to regs 553-01-07, saying each socket outlet of a twin, or multiple socket outlet is regarded as one socket outlet. :oops:

No worries..

But, it's not just a question of how the wiring regs regard socket outlets, it's the fact that a twin 13A socket is actually not designed to carry 2 x 13A loads, which might come as a shock to granny running two 3kW heaters off hers!

dingbat said:
But, it's not just a question of how the wiring regs regard socket outlets, it's the fact that a twin 13A socket is actually not designed to carry 2 x 13A loads, which might come as a shock to granny running two 3kW heaters off hers!
But how will granny know this ? !

masona said:
dingbat said:
But how will granny know this ? !

Buy her the on site guide for christmas :LOL:

that info from MK didn't say how long a double socket would stand 26A for

whilst white goods equipment often draws the full 13A it doesn't usually do it for very long

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back