Adding additional garage lighting; cable query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garage already has two wall-mounted lights, but they don't give off enough light. (Garage built in year 2000).

I've mounted a neon strip light and want to wire this in to the existing circuit that runs from the single light switch that controls the two lights.

However, I'm confused by the existing cable - there are two earth wires and three red wires (no sign of a Neutral) so I'm not sure how to connect the neon tube.

Has the installer simply used a length of red cable for the neutral run, or are there two live wires plus a switch wire?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You will need to connect the strip light to the existing lights.
There is no neutral to your switch.
The wires in your switch are live feed to the switch, live feed to the next switch and a switched live to the lights.
Hopefully your electrician has not used the switch as the distribution for the lives all the way through.
If he/she has then you will definitely need to take your switched live and neutral fron one of the existing lights.

Thanks.

And sod's law states that my length of spare cable is a foot short of reaching one of the existing lights.

alexp.1 said:
However, I'm confused by the existing cable - there are two earth wires and three red wires

I have been doing electrics for 20 years and have never seen a cable constructed like that!

Sponsored Links
Just a thought. could be four core pyro using 1 core as earth plus a tail on the pyro gland making the second earth. unlikely given the age of the garage but just athought as i said.

Sorry, to clarify; the three reds and two earths aren't a single cable; they are five individual runs of wire from the light switch, and are housed in a plastic conduit.

What's pyro?

Sorry, to clarify; the three reds and two earths aren't a single cable; they are five individual runs of wire from the light switch, and are housed in a plastic conduit.

I knew that, good to see my srystal ball is still working lol

alexp.1 said:
Thanks.

And s**'s law states that my length of spare cable is a foot short of reaching one of the existing lights.
Twas ever thus....

Still - it's easy and cheap to buy....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back