adding extra sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi am wondering if anyone can help me.

I'm fitting a new kitchen for my mum, and in the process moving the door back to its original position,
now in doing so i discovered a wire under the floorboards which had been joined together by a connector,
which is great as i need to put sockets on that wall, but what i dont know is if this wire is part of the main ring :confused:

For these two wires to be joined together as they were i think there must have been a socket there at 1 point, but no one can tell me for sure

I seperated the two wires from the connector and everything still works,
i also put sockets on the end of each wire and they both work,
so am i right in saying that this is part of the main ring and as long as a wire is run between these two sockets the ring will be complete and safe to use :?:

Sponsored Links
Um, no.

What exactly did you mean by 'a connector'?

While you had the sockets on the ends, did you check that the power on both sockets turns off if you turn off the mcb/fuse for the kitchen ring but leave all the other power on?

The cable is the correct size? 2.5mm or greater, though greater might start you wondering if this was in fact a join in the cooker supply?

Opening a ring, inserting extra sockets and re-joining it is fine. Try to minimise the number of connections left under the floor where they may be dificult to get to.

sorry by connector i a meant terminal block,

cable is 2.5mm yes

when i isolated the the downstairs main ring supply only....... both the sockets stopped working like you asked.

Definately not the cooker supply thats at the other end of the kitchen

Sponsored Links
Thanx guy's just wanted to make sure it was right,

there are no more connections under the floor now either (well none that i know of) as each cable now go's straight to a socket.

found a lot of bad wiring when ripping out the old kitchen...cable just trailed across the floor under the units, exposed wire out the back of sockets mounted inside the units and a socket under the sink next to all the water pipes...:confused:

am no expert but that cant be good right ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back