1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Adding power to garage

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by pumabhoy, 30 Jun 2003.

1. pumabhoy

pumabhoy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm in the process of building an attached garage. When finished I want to add a light and a couple of electricity sockets.
    Can I just power both from a new MCB in the consumer box (there are free spaces available) as I want to keep it seperate from the rest of the house electrics?
    Should I put them on the regular or RCD side of the box?
    Do I have to use any special wire or is regular twin and earth ok?
    Cheers
    Mikey

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Scoby_Beasley

Scoby_Beasley

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Regular T&E okay but the lighting should be seperate from the sockets and 1mm2 as opposed to 2.5mm2 as used in your mains

4. breezer

breezer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    following on from that, the sockets should be in a ring using 2.5 twin and earth and should be on the rcd side of your cunsumers unit, and the lights should be in 1 or 1.5 twin and earth and not on the rcd side of your consumers unit

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local