adding shower to system with powermax 155 boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello can anyone give me some advice,i want to add a shower in my bathroom. i have a potterton 155 boiler,can i turn off cold water at mains and add my shower or are there other things i need to consider.thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You need to take a 'balanced supply' from the cold water pipe before it goes into the boiler and after it has passed through the composite NRV, shut off and pressure vessel connection. They refer to it as the inlet control group
I38-2638-007.gif

OK that pic is of a slightly different model but the relevant part to get the message across is in the right hand corner of it where it says COLD [balanced pressure]

More specific instructions are in your manual. If you don't have one I'm sure potterton will oblige if you email them or try checking their website

just turn the water off, open all of the taps in the house to drain a bit of water out and away you go. the diagram is of a powermax he so its very different in princible :D

Hi for Mr Slug or anybody else who can help.

I had last year a powermax fitted (by a reg corgi etc etc). I can say for sure on inspection that there is no Inlet control group fitted as shown above. I get the impression this was a separate package with the boiler and the secondary vessel etc should be fitted external to the main boiler case and innards.

Now my heating chap didn't mention this and it has give me faultless service for 8 months. What is the purpose of said device, i assume it is to stop overpressure from the mains, and back flow into the mains on heating up a cold tank of water without drawing any off eg using a tap?

So my question is this. Should it for def be fitted, and secondly bearing in mind nothing appears wrong, should i let it be, bearing in mind i am coming towards the end of the warranty.

I would just like to be sure of info before i approach plumber as he is a nice chap and wouldn't want to upset through my ignorance.

My mains pressure max i have seen is about 2.4 bar if that helps at all by the way. This all came about as i am about to fit a new shower and couldn't find this kit.

Sponsored Links
Need to know the exact model and preferably the GC number.

If this inlet control group is in required according to your instructions then it must be fitted.

Its an HE150 not sure what other no you want? It does say it should be fitted yes, just i am unsure what the consequences both short and long term are of its omission.

As i said i only found out by chance, maybe i am worrying about nothing. Thoughts?

Well as nobody is throwing their arms up in horror, i will assume i can sleep easily over this inlet control group absence...

Just thought i would see what professional opinion was!

I've been offline a couple of days and now I'm back my arms are up in horror.

IT SHOULD BE FITTED.

I don't know much about your particular model and I suspect that it could be the equivalent of an unvented cylinder rather than a thermal store. I answered the original post as best I could at the time with a different point of question

If it is effectively an unvented cylinder then your worst case scenario is three times what you can see at www.waterheaterblast.com.

If it is the latter then could you suffer 1/25th of that assuming theres only a couple of litres of water that could flash to 3200 litres of steam ?

This is a topic hi-jack so I will ask the moderator to split this post so that others can advise. Meanwhile I suggest that you turn it off until you have had advice from others on this forum or potterton

Please turn it off until you have had further advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back