Adding Sockets to Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a double socket in my integral garage and i want to add 3 more doubles at various places in garage, Now, do i just run 2.5 cable from this socket to the next and finish at socket 4 or do i need to bring the cable back from socket 4 to the original socket to create a ring ?
If i need to create a ring would it be best practice to run the initial wire from the original socket up to a 3 way junction box and wire from this ?

Sponsored Links
Is the existing socket fed by a spur or is it on the ring or a radial circuit?

A ring should have two (poss three if there is a spur off it) cables feeding the outlet, and the circuit would be protected by a 30/32A device.

A spur will also be protected by a 30/32A device, but should find only one cable at the outlet. A spur should not feed any futher outlets.

A radial should be fed via a 20A device, and be a single cable which may or may not run on to feed other outlets.

If you have a spur, and do not want to or cannot alter the circuit, then you could replace the socket with a fused spur of 13A, then run sockets off the outgoing terms of the spur, so that your total load is limited to 13A.

If you have a ring, you need to extend one leg of the circuit feeding the existing socket and take it to the far end of the run. Leave the other leg at the existing point, then run a link inbetween all the others, to complete the ring. This is just one method, it is not the only one, and may not suit your situation.

If you have a 20A radial, then you should be able to tap off the existing socket to others.

But you have to think about total loading, and floor area. A 20A radial wired in 2.5 can only feed an area of 50m2 max.

And if you want to run w/m's or t/d's, then it may be too much for a 20A circuit.

Also consider RCD's. You need to cover the circuit with an RCD if there is a liklehood that the outlets on it could feed any equipment outdoors.

Also, if your garage is detached, you need to bear in mind Part P.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back