Adding to a single spur socket (not sure if it's a spur?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to add a double socket into a bedroom from a single socket in the landing. The single socket in the landing only has one cable up to it (it may be a spur - not sure late 1960's house). I rarely use the single socket in the landing but wish to retain it. Will it be ok to spur from this to the new bedroom double socket?

I have read you shouldn't spur from a spur? The distance of the new cable will be 2 metres in length.

Will this be ok in this instance - thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links
No it won't be OK.

If you look at nearby sockets you may be able to find where the socket is spurred from.

Do you have any plans to redecorate the bedroom where you want the new socket? Does it have sockets there already? What is the floor made of? Are there any sockets on the other side of the walls of this room?

It might be worth checking your fuseboard/consumer unit as well. It's just possible that it's a radial fed from it's own fuse (my house has this, mainly because the landing socket is situated by itself on one side of the upstairs away from the bedrooms. Doing it that way meant a lot less cable for the upstairs ring). If this is the case then you should be able to extend the radial to feed another socket.

A long shot I'll admit, but worth checking :D

JohnD - thank you. Wasn't planning to redecorate the bedroom but I totally understand where you're coming from! The bedroom has only one existing double socket on the other side which might be where I could spur off. Although the single socket in the landing doesn't look like it's been added I wonder if it's a radial feed that SparkyMark mentioned?

Sponsored Links
If you look under the floor, and the cables to the other side, where your existing socket is, pass under the room, then it would be possible to connect these into, and run the ring around the room under the floor with as many sockets as you like.

If not, you can use a Dual Box to enlarge the ring, which will mean carving out the wall a bit.

You should not put junction boxes under the floor or in other inaccessible places, though.

Thanks SparkyMarky! I have heard about these - more research required by me! What would I need to look at in my old style (not trip switches late 1960's) fuse box to hightlight if it's a radial fed?

The landing is in the middle of the two bedrooms upstair and the only other sockets in both bedrooms are on the external wall.

I think you could be right with your suggestion!

I thought I would just add that the single socket in the landing is fitted in plasterboard with the bath in the bathroom being the otherside. Therefore the switch is located under the bath (not the tap side).

Thank you for your help.

Thanks JohnD. Many thanks for the info about about not hiding the junction boxes aswell. I'll try to find out if it's a radial first!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back