Advert break volume

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am watching "Deal or no deal" and before that "Countdown", both on Channel 4. For some reason the volume of the commercial breaks is significantly higher than that of the programmes. Any idea how or why this happens? I've noticed it a lot over the last few days and it's bl**dy annoying!

Sponsored Links
Our Sony tv has auto sound level .. nice? hmm Not always, instead of going to' full for the current vol. setting', on a channel change, the thing appears to pick up from silence to the preset level .. If you channel hop to a silent spell (difficult but doable ;) ), seems to take ages to attain the set level.
I live with it, others in the house try to upstage the thing by raising the volume .. so we return to the thunder we tried to prevent !!
:D :D :D :D

They don't actually turn up the volume but broadcast on a wider bandwidth. Think of your normal graphic equaliser settings - then think of putting them all to full, if you see what I mean.

joe

BTW - you watch some rubbish.

And they do it deliberately when the ads are on. I wonder why? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The output of a broadcaster will go through a control room before going to transmission it is here that quality control of picture and audio is checked amongst other things and it's dependant on how good the monitoring is. ie whether all equipment is lined up properly, whether the personnel are paying attention or playing cards ;) It's quite easy for a pot to have been turned down accidently (or on purpose, can't disturb the card playing) In the end it's up to the regulatory bodies to police that the broadcaster is staying within standard limits or whether illegal.
In saying that, terrestial tv has to comply whereas at the moment it's left to satellite broadcasters to police themselves although that could change in the near future.
So in a nutshell, the broadcaster will not want to overdrive your tv's electronics so that the audio ends up in the clipping and distorted.
If you feel strongly enough then complain to the ITC well ofcom these days as the ITC has been disbanded.

joe-90 said:
They don't actually turn up the volume but broadcast on a wider bandwidth. Think of your normal graphic equaliser settings - then think of putting them all to full, if you see what I mean.

joe

BTW - you watch some rubbish.

Far bigger 'see you next tuesdays' look on !!
:D :D

It doesn't matter if the signal passes through Jodrell bank 24 times bounces off umpteen planets etc -- If it sounds louder, it sounds louder something has altered usually with the help of a hairy digit or two .. or did 45p fall asleep only to awaken at the adverts?
:D :D

Back