advice needed house viewing part 2.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a few weeks ago i posted about a house i was interested in buying and it had big llelandi on the nieghbours property.since then i have decided to buy house and will talk to neighbours to discuss the tree situation when i move in.have paid £600 for survey and have signed the mortgage offer and am just waiting to exchange.
the house is tucked away in the corner of a cul-de-sac and has good privacy on all aspects.imagine my surprise when yesterday i drove past and ALL the surrounding trees have been taken down :eek: not just the lleylandi either but all the neighbours on all the aspects of the property have been removed.it was not overlooked by anyone before the tree felling started(talk about rain forest devestation)
when you now approach the property from the main road and look towards the house it is so open and bare.
the only thing is none of the trees was in the houses bounderies so theres seems that i hav'nt got a leg to stand on?any advice please.

Sponsored Links
Best thing they ever did ... get rid.... forests, woods, coppices countryside for trees.. plenty of room out there.
Ninety percent or more of domestic 'tree' planters lose interest, then the tree(s) becomes a potential liability... Should require a license like dog owning.

Anyhow whaddya buy, the house or the neighbouring trees?

Perhaps potential buyers were being put off by the vertical lawns?
:D :D :D :D

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
a few weeks ago i posted about a house i was interested in buying and it had big llelandi on the nieghbours property.since then i have decided to buy house and will talk to neighbours to discuss the tree situation when i move in.have paid £600 for survey and have signed the mortgage offer and am just waiting to exchange.
the house is tucked away in the corner of a cul-de-sac and has good privacy on all aspects.imagine my surprise when yesterday i drove past and ALL the surrounding trees have been taken down :eek: not just the lleylandi either but all the neighbours on all the aspects of the property have been removed.it was not overlooked by anyone before the tree felling started(talk about rain forest devestation)
when you now approach the property from the main road and look towards the house it is so open and bare.
the only thing is none of the trees was in the houses bounderies so theres seems that i hav'nt got a leg to stand on?any advice please.

Beter that they are down. Leylandii are the trees from hell, they grow about 200 feet high if left. Now you can plant your own cover and control it as you want

Sponsored Links
Totally agree with Pickles. You can now do what you want and plant something better. Having said that leylandii have there places and it is mainly owners not cutting them back until it is too late, or ignoring them completely which causes problems. There isn't much else that grows that fast. A quick google suggests Beech, Hawthorn and Hazel as reasonably fast growing native species.

Take a closer look at well established, well cut back Leylandii, they still have the trunk of a very tall tree... A short cut to, privacy and eventually misery.. As soon as the caretaker does not bother with them they are out of hand .. Awful things, I would not buy with those next door.. On site, yes, I could demolish the rubbish, in fact I'd make 'em f down, roots out and gone forever .. If I knew of a killer pest I'd import the bu##er .. DEATH to all Laylandii.
:p :p :p :p

empip said:
Take a closer look at well established, well cut back Leylandii, they still have the trunk of a very tall tree... A short cut to, privacy and eventually misery.. As soon as the caretaker does not bother with them they are out of hand .. Awful things, I would not buy with those next door.. On site, yes, I could demolish the rubbish, in fact I'd make 'em f down, roots out and gone forever .. If I knew of a killer pest I'd import the bu##er .. DEATH to all Laylandii.
:p :p :p :p

You're not keen then?

Could you poison them?

Not if they belong to someone else.

I do not know about roots under ones soil tho'. Seems if you should cut to the boundary tree may be destabilised and it may be seen as vandalism ... Can that ever be right?
:D

on a technicality: it could be argued that the poison was leaking onto the neighbours land ie through the roots?

Your responsibility .. If the leak was on your land.
I think chopping the roots to the boundary has to be a winner, the wind and a tall tree should sort things out.

I feel that the publicised problems some people have with ar sehol e neighbours and Leylandii is so unnecessary.
It must be atrocious to be denied the sunlight free to all.
2 metres max is simple .. cannot easily peer over, but can see the light.

:D :D :D

get them copper nails into them under cover of darkness or better still take a good sharp saw and take a 2ft strip of bark out all around the tree = dead tree in no time

forget niceties no one knows who did it go on you know you want to

Sponsored Links
Back