Advice Needed Please On This TableTop Circular Saw From Lidl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been needing to invest in a good circular saw and would have done this earlier, but technical comparisons have driven me mad :(! However, this week, there are special offers on at 'Lidl' and they are selling a tabletop circular saw (£79.99 - reduced from £89.99).

Here is the product:

06_3341_b.jpg

Die-cast casing made from robust sheet-steel, size (cm): 60.5 x 42.5 x 47
Maximum cutting capacity: 65mm at 90°, 45mm at 45°
Blade Ø (mm): 210
Powerful 1800 watt motor
Features include:
- Safety ON/OFF switch with AUTO-OFF
- 1 Push stick
- Blade guard
3 year manufacturer's warranty
Price per item
Was £89.99

Original Source:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20060720.p.Table_Top_Circular_Saw.ar3

One of the factors influencing my interest in buying this particular saw is the power of the motor (not to mention the advantage of the price reduction :p) because circular saws in 'Homebase' are around 1200-1400 watts as opposed to 1800 watts that 'Lidl' are offering.

The only problem is that 'Lidl' fail to mention the RPM that the blade can make and the circular saws in 'Homebase' are around 4500 RPM which sounds great to me.

What do you reckon I should do? Is the one in 'Lidl' any good do you think? Are there any better products out there for the same price? The tabletop feature is useful as I don't currently have a workbench, but it's the specs and the value for money issue which I must resolve before committing myself to buy this product.

Sponsored Links
wouldnt worry about the rpm off the blade :LOL:

what uses are you planning for the saw !!!
table saws are great for ripping wood along its length and not much else in a diy sense [gaurds in place]

i personaly think lidls stuff is good value for money and are reasonable to good quality
the only real disadvantage is if it breaks down you have to wait for the next time the special comes around[if ever] to get a replacement or just get your money back ;)

Thanks for your reply Big-all :).

what uses are you planning for the saw !!!

Well, to be honest, I wasn't just going to use it for one job and then hide it at the back of my shed :LOL:. I hope to be able to use it for even the most complex jobs which I will more than likely face in the future :).

However, the 1st thing I intended to use it for was to cut along a large fence post (to be used for an external timber window sill): 4X4 inches and obviously the length isn't necessary to state. I think what I need to do is convert those measurements into MM and then see if the saw supports this cutting depth.

Cheers ;).

P.S. If you or anyone knows of any good saws, please let us know!

the only real disadvantage is if it breaks down you have to wait for the next time the special comes around[if ever] to get a replacement or just get your money back

Even if the product offers a 3 year guarantee (which it shows on the box)?

ok wrap it up in pva ooooooo sorry wrong thread ;)

you wont be able to rip down a 4 inch[101.6mm] post legaly or safely as the guard and riving will get in the way

you can cut with a hand held circular saw with a 55mm capacity just flip it over
a band saw with 105mm capacity

your table saw would need a full 105mm capacity

tell me/us what you plan on doing then i/we can suggest alternatives :LOL:

Sponsored Links
ok wrap it up in pva ooooooo sorry wrong thread ;)

LOL! :p

06_3341_b.jpg

That is what I think will happen when the wood is moved towards the saw blade. Due to the depth of the wood, it'll probably be too high for the blade.

you can cut with a hand held circular saw with a 55mm capacity just flip it over
a band saw with 105mm capacity

Judging by the look of those band saws, I'd imagine they would cost an arm and a leg :cry:.

I'll consider getting a handheld circular saw :). Thanks for your advice Big-all; made me think about how I'd exactly use the tabletop saw. I guess I disregarded the cutting limitations and just presumed it would do the job nevertheless but it's good to look into these things before buying.

tell me/us what you plan on doing then i/we can suggest alternatives :LOL:

Well, I have a 12-15 foot post which I bought (and carried 1/2 a mile all the way from homebase :eek:) to use as an external window sill. I need to cut the post and get 2 pieces for use as the sill and bottom frame (with horn). If I get a handheld circular saw and cut halfway of the depth, turn it sideways and do the same/ I can get the depth I need for the sill. I just need to cut to a depth of about 3.5 inches. Pretty much it really :).

What I can try and do is see if I can get the saw out of the box in 'Lidl' and see if the guard is adjustable etc.

Cheers.

yes i like your drawing :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

the physical limmiting factors are the gaurd will not raise high enough [as designed] even if it did the riving knife or gaurd support only allow cut timber to pass as the uncut timber will simply hit the metalwork sticking up ;)

the other option which is dangerous even to a pro like myself and would "never" suggest anyone try it because of the danger is to remove the gaurd and knife this is the only way it would work but is highly dangerous as the blade is fully exposed [very dangerous :cry: ]and the ryving knife helps stop the wood binding on the blade and help stop it being propelled at the user

oooo and if you require a post cut down the middle or indeed a bit of treated wood a specific size ask your wood yard and if they dont have it in stock they will run it up for you at no extra charge usualy ;)

yes i like your drawing :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

lol thank you; that's what you get for a couple seconds work :LOL:. I prefer the look of my 3d modelling work though:cool: :D.

the other option which is dangerous even to a pro like myself and would "never" suggest anyone try it because of the danger is to remove the gaurd and knife this is the only way it would work but is highly dangerous as the blade is fully exposed [very dangerous :cry:]and the ryving knife helps stop the wood binding on the blade and help stop it being propelled at the user

Hey that's a great idea!! I think I'll try this :)!

On second thoughts, I'll take your advice not to do this ;). It's not worth risking my arms ;). Then, my dreams will be obliterated.

oooo and if you require a post cut down the middle or indeed a bit of treated wood a specific size ask your wood yard and if they dont have it in stock they will run it up for you at no extra charge usualy

Problem is the transport :(. There is no way I can carry it there, nor take it on the bus with me :cry:. I don't think the driver will appreaciate a 15 foot fence post in his face as I try to get it through the door :mrgreen:. Hmm, I guess I'll just have to get the handheld circular saw from homebase when I get chance. The nearest timber merchant is about 4 miles away or something and it's the one of those things that never gets arranged or sorted :(.

Cheers :).

ok ask if they deliver foc
if they charge ask how much you have to order for free delivery!!!!

you can always butter them up have a laugh with them and ask for a discount as your going to send a lot off orders there way ;)

big-all said:
ok ask if they deliver foc
if they charge ask how much you have to order for free delivery!!!!

I ordered some timber from my local merchants and enquired about delivery, the guy went all serious and said "ooh, if you're ordering under £50 we impose a 2% delivery charge" Like as if if it was a big deal.

So the most you ever pay for delivery is a quid! Hardly seems worth their while. :)

Blimey, if you live nearish me in Notts I'll deliver the blimmin thing for ya in me van. Seems like a lot of effort to make a cill. How long do you actually want?

Thanks for help guys.

Blimey, if you live nearish me in Notts I'll deliver the blimmin thing for ya in me van.

That won't be necessary as I already have the wood, but thank you for the offer anyway :).

Seems like a lot of effort to make a cill.

Yea, but it's better than paying over £100 for a new window. Also, we would have to have one specially made I reckon as the house is old.

Anyway, it's those motise and tenon joints that I'm not looking forward to :(. I will do it though.

By the way, didn't buy the saw in the end from Lidl. However, there is a sale on where they are getting rid of final stock, so I may get it and test it out. I think that it could work actually, but really not sure. This dilemma is driving me potty :evil: :evil: :evil:.

EDIT: Looked again at the picture and there is no way I'm getting it. Won't work. Getting a handheld now instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back