Advice on Best Way to Make Privet Hedge Bushy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Last November I planted a privet hedge (approx. 30cms high). Now it is about 90 - 100cms, healthy, but not particularly 'bushy'.

I plan to allow the hedge to get to about 2m. I have heard different opinions on the best way to do this - some people say to trim it as often as required to allow it to bush out, others say - wait until it has reached the height I require before trimming.

Anyone got experience as to which method is best? (if it is recommended to trim it now, how much to I cut it back, and where is the best place to 'chop' it from?). I live near the coast in NE Scotland, so temps are usually mild until mid/late November.

Many thanks,

Gary

Sponsored Links
Id say leave it till the end of the season... Sept / Early Oct.... Just nip the tops off about a couple of cm.... Once things start up next year they will certainly be more bushy.....

Again I soppose it depends what kind of Plants they are... but i planted some confiers last year and did as stated above.... this year is already a nice think hedge....

I came across a gem in one of Geoff Hamilton's books. In the days when hedges were important, the plants were cut down to near ground level, every year for the first SEVEN years.

To get a bushy hedge from the ground up, it would be better to cut it low this winter (very low, if you have the nerve). It will grow surprisingly quickly next year, possibly to more than 60cm, and will be MUCH more bushy.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies - I'm going to take the plunge and cut it right back at the start of winter. If it doesn't work it won't be too tragic - the hedge is only about 15ft long, so won't cost too much to replace should the worst come to the worst.

Thanks again :)

Your attitude is the best to have, just chop it right back, it really is the right way but I know even myself I am wary of cutting things back ruthlessly as I like many others dont have the nerve, but those who do always seem to have the best hedges and climbers I have seen. If it had anything to do with Geoff Hamilton then it will be right. Good luck.

Let it grow all winter then hit it hard in february.

Its evergreen and it will use its leaves to put on root growth over winter.

So, when you hammer it in february it will be that little bit stronger than if you hit it now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back