Advice please on unsatisfactory plumber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking for advice please on what to do next:

I hired a plumber who quoted us to fit a new bathroom, new boiler, and 2 small radiators.

She recommended a Vokeera boiler, but due to stock shortage i bought a Worcester 28 boiler.

Anyway, halfway thru the bathroom re-fit she said she couldn't get the boiler certified, so wouldn't fit it.

I am now uncertain what to do.... it seems plumbers are not willing to take on a part finished job (understandably i guess), but is it best to ask her to finish the bathroom and pay her off (she still has to connect the sink and put up the shower), or to pay her off now ?.... and how much should i pay her for aprox 1.5 days work so far?

Problems...problems...

Sponsored Links
Can't really see why a boiler fitter would not want to fit the boiler. I wouldn't want to do the bathroom...!

If she "can't get it certified" then she isn't Corgi registered so should never have quoted to do the job.

To quote form the corgi website (installer's bit)

Q: I am a qualified plumber, and have been in the plumbing industry for years. I am, however, not registered with CORGI. Can I install a boiler and pipework and have a CORGI-registered installer connect the gas and commission the installation?
A: NO! Many people are under the illusion that they can carry out this activity as it's being tested by a registered installer. The Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998, Reg. 2 (23) states: 'The definition of "work in relation to a gas fitting" lists specific activities covered by this term, but this list is not exclusive and other operations may also comprise "work". The definition is wide-ranging and includes activities that could affect, in any way, the safety of a gas fitting (whether new or existing, and whether or not it contains gas)'.

When you say certified do you mean she or her fitter is not Corgi registered?
I would not pay a penny for her leaving you in the lurch, unless she arranges for a gas engineer to fit and commission the boiler.
You appear to have the upper hand here for very unprofessional behaviour.

The change in boiler should not influence her decision on fitting unless you went to a totally different system say combi to conventional.

Pete

Did you get a written quote including for "installation of boiler", or a verbal agreement that she would fit it?

Is the reason for not fitting the boiler that she is not Corgi registered or is it due to equipment problems?

I think you may have a valid argument if she has quoted/agreed to do work that she:
a) Is knowingly not capable of
b) Is not legally allowed to (if not Corgi).

For legal/contract advice I would speak to local citizens advice bureau, this is after all a plumbing forum and as such any legal advice (including my own above) would be more than likely based on personal opinion/interpretation of contract law.

Sponsored Links
She said she will get someone to register it after she has fitted it, but changed her mind when i said i had got the Worcester boiler.

EDIT: I have a written quote for installation of boiler.

ChrisR said:
CORGI said:
The Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998 said:
'The definition of "work in relation to a gas fitting" lists specific activities covered by this term, but this list is not exclusive and other operations may also comprise "work". The definition is wide-ranging and includes activities that could affect, in any way, the safety of a gas fitting (whether new or existing, and whether or not it contains gas)'.
The thing is, Chris, the GSIURs don't say anything like what CORGI claims they say.

However, I agree that it would be unwise to even install a boiler if you're not an RGI.

Drag your ass down to CAB for advice. It will be free and legally speaking, correct.

Softus I don't think there's any doubt that if someone is employed, and hangs a boiler on the wall, (which is definitely "work"), and they aren't Corgi reg'd, they've committed an offence. Is there?

You should discuss the thing with your plumber first! Presumably she can continue with the bathroom installation and radiator fitting as originally agreed (unless you have some other problem with her work). You just need to revue the quote / estimate to agree what this should be with the boiler work deleted (it should be itemised separately anyway).

ChrisR, there is definitely a problem defining what exactly constitutes work in relation to a gas fitting as far as boiler installation is concerned. My current view is that hanging the boiler, installing the flue, connecting the gas supply and commissioning the boiler are such work, but connecting CH and DHW pipework, PRV discharge, condensate drain and electrical connections is not such work. But that is only my view. What would others say?

Tch! Women eh?.... just a joke, don't bite my head off :D

I agree with chrishutt, discuss it with her. She may have a totally valid reason for not wanting to fit the boiler. We could go round in circles here discussing the why's and wherefor's but until you have the facts there seems little point. After all, it is a woman's Prerogative to change her mind :rolleyes:

Blasphemous said:
... it is a woman's Prerogative to change her mind
Or, indeed, not to... if she agreed to fit boiler "A" and the customer went out and bought boiler "B" as seems to have happened in this case.

Yeah, men and women should learn to compromise. Take me and the missus. She wanted three kids whereas I was happy to settle for just two. So we compromised. We had three.

Steady now :D this is starting to turn into women bashing....

is that an Olympic sport by the way? ;)

ChrisR said:
Softus I don't think there's any doubt that if someone is employed, and hangs a boiler on the wall, (which is definitely "work"), and they aren't Corgi reg'd, they've committed an offence. Is there?
I think there's sufficient doubt.

For example, does hanging on the wall include installing the flue? It certainly doesn't include running a gas supply to it, in which case one argument could easily be that it isn't a gas appliance until the moment that gas is piped to it.

"A car that does not go is not a car."
Lord Denning.

softus wrote:

it isn't a gas appliance until the moment that gas is piped to it.

So what is it until the moment gas is piped to it?

An old english sheep dog perhaps :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back