Advice, surely 300mm for sockets near sinks is too much ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is stange one. 2 electricians, one say 1metre and another says 2 metres and then I find this !

Which is right, from the wording it says 'recomendation' so that means anything goes right ?
By the way, this is all getting done for me by a NIC sparky

http://www.niceic.org.uk/approved/quest2.html

BS 7671 does not specify any minimum distance for socket-outlets to be from a sink.

Regulation 512-06-01 requires due account to be taken of all external influences. The Regulation requires all equipment to be of a design appropriate to the situation in which it is to be used or its mode of installation is to take account of the conditions likely to be encountered.

Accessories used in domestic installations are not designed to be splashed and therefore not suitable for installation close to a sink or draining board. The NICEIC recommends that socket-outlets and other accessories should be located at least 300 mm, measured horizontally, from a sink or draining board, where they are unlikely to be splashed.

Where circumstances require a BS 1363 socket-outlet or other accessory to be installed in a wet
location, a splash-proof accessory or an accessory having protection to IPX4 should be
considered. However, in a domestic kitchen, the industrial appearance of a splash-proof
socket-outlet is likely to be unacceptable and a standard socket-outlet located a safe distance
away is usually the preferred solution.

Sponsored Links
means your sparkys are a good few years out of touch with current regulation....

there is no minimum but niceic(who have no legal authority) suggest 300mm as a guide

in my humble opinion the socket should be in such a position so that you can not stand at the sink and reach out and touch the socket at the same time. I know you can put it closer or behind providing it has adequate IP coding.

Sponsored Links
69er said:
in my humble opinion the socket should be in such a position so that you can not stand at the sink and reach out and touch the socket at the same time. I know you can put it closer or behind providing it has adequate IP coding.

That would rule out having power in my kitchen altogether :D

I live at the bottom on the A1 just after south mims.

if you want to contact me. My email is

andysideas AT gmail DOT com

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back