Advice wanted on replacing rotten garage door frame posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The bottom 12 inches of the two wooden posts that form the frame of my garage door have rotted away starting from where the wood meets the concrete floor. I have bought an offcut of 70mmx70mm post to replace just the bottom section of each post as this will save me the much bigger task of removing the garage door and supporting metalwork.

My question is what is the best way to join the new post sections to the existing posts once I have removed the rotten sections? There is an iron bolt / pin sticking up from the concrete that used to go through the centre of the post (now completely rotten away) and so this makes sliding the new section in more difficult and I can't use anything that protrudes too far from the wood as this will catch the door and will spoil the look from the front.

I'm not a big DIY expert and don't have a mass of tools so the simpler the solution, the better.

Cheers in advance for any advice or help.

Sponsored Links
Well for a start make sure you cut out the old wood diagonally, inside sloping down to the outside. This will ensure that no water will run into the joint. It's also easier to get the new one in place. Use plenty of glue and screw it in, then fill screwholes. Also make sure you treat/prime/paint before fixing it in.

Will this new section be taking any door weight via a hinge?

make sure the timber is clear of the floor by about an inch to help stop it rotting again

Thx for all the advice so far, very helpful

Deluks said:
Will this new section be taking any door weight via a hinge?

There are no fittings to these new sections pieces but the post is only fixed at the top and the bottom so the joint need to be pretty strong.

Maybe I should add another countersunk screw half way up into the existing post for strength into the surounding brick work although with the post already in place, I won't be able to put in a rawl plug but maybe there are screws that will go into brick without a plug but I'm not really up on such things.

Sponsored Links
12 inches is quite a lot. After you've cut the old one out with a diagonal cut as described, soak the old and new timber in Cuprinol Green or similar overnight. End grain on the ground will always get wet and rot :cry:

On mine, I was able to cast in a couple of inches of concrete to lift the end of the timber slightly away from the ground, to make it less damp. In some cases you can use a half-brick mortared to the concrete base and the side wall.

p.s. the screw thing you mean is called a Frame Fixing. Long screw with long plug.

I would cut the frame at half way with a lap joint and at the bottom of the frame cut it at slight angle acting as a drip bar for the rain. The problem with bottom rotten frame, you cannot see how far the water has soaked up inside the frame

maybe there are screws that will go into brick without a plug but I'm not really up on such things.

Yes try to get your hands on the ones that pvc fitters use there about 4-6 inch long depenidng on what size you need, you just drill a 7mm pilot hole into the brick and drive the screw in with no plugs or adhesives needed!

They are easy to spot as they are gold and have a star bit on the head

Hope i helped :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back