Advise on buying a new washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recomend the best make of washing machine to buy, I am after a fast spin 1500-1600 with a large capacity.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Sponsored Links
choice is yours really, some would say don get xx brand some will say do get xx brand

one thing i will say is dont get an "own brand"
do look after it. when loading it never over load it (people often do) when loading it you should be able to see the back of the drum across the top of the clothes, if you cant its over loaded (take some out)

never use cheap soap powder it clogs

dont do a "boil wash" there is no point (it comes from the days of your granny when she would literally boil things to wash them), modern biological soap powders dont work above 62 degrees

and dont even think about a w/d

Have a look at the Bosch machines, they should have something suitable.

I've just bought a Hotpoint Ultima 1600.

Absolutely in love with it - and I usually hate doing laundry, find it time- and energy-consuming and would rather be doing other things!

1600 spin gets clothes so dry you wonder if you remembered to press 'start'...! (I'm used to a 1400 and wasn't expecting such a dramatic difference!)

Clothes v clean and fresh, controls straightforward but lots of options.

Display tells you how long until it finishes-v useful!

:D [/b]

Sponsored Links
Personally I think you are better off buying a basic model of a 'good' brand rather than the best model of a less reliable brand.

By 'good' brands I mean all the usual suspects - Miele, Bosch, Siemens, AEG. You will pay more for them, but hopefully you will reap the benefits.

We recently bought a Siemens machine after going through two Hoover machines in only a few years.

S x

breezer

one thing i will say is dont get an "own brand"

Why not!!!!!!!!!
Having worked in Domestic appliance development for over 20 years & been involved in 'Own Brand', The savings are generally on advertising & cosmetics.

See this , my post about miele.

Also I forgot to add onto the post that comes with 12 months interest free, I can't believe how quiet it is :D

breezer said:
choice i

dont do a "boil wash" there is no point (it comes from the days of your granny when she would literally boil things to wash them), modern biological soap powders dont work above 62 degrees

and dont even think about a w/d

a boil wash is recomended by most manufactures occasionally , helps to disperse the build up of sludge left behind by modern day 40 degree washes . i always advise people to do a boil wash once a month , just add normal dosage of detergent or descaler/cleaner and run without a load .
And as for washer /driers . I think they have improved greatly and are quiet reliable nowerdays. Not trying to question your opinion breezer , Personally tho i think that it doesnt matter what you buy , you could get two identical machines and give to two different people . and one could run for years without a problem and the other could be scrap within 6 months. this could be due to the different ways they are used or it could be that the person that got the failing machine was unlucky. No machine is perfect , far from it . So one person would highly recomend one brand/model where another would rubbish it . Its a gamble Im afraid . You pays yer money and take yer chances

hi i've been in the appliance industry for 21 years it has to be miele if to costly then bosch or siemens same company just different brand names

Remember though with Miele, not only are the machines expensive, the spare parts are also silly money, although I'm not allowed to give prices on here. A glass for a Miele ceramic hob costs about the same as 2 complete hobs from a cheaper brand.

Whatever machine you buy, buy it from John Lewis. They price match the big electricals and give you a free extended waranty.

John lewis .. Miele comes with 10yr big G... If that covers all then at 7 or 800 notes it must be good.
My Neff is running ok after near 10 yrs, I no longer have 'maintenance insurance' each year it had increased until 3 yrs ago they asked £120 per annum .. end of that.
Overall thus far £80 pa average insurance cover that would have been £800 reduced by inflation, but not a lot, plus the cost of buying.
Over £1000 and not even the Roller of wash machines !
Miele for me next time, wash and forget please ! A telly it ain't. ;)

Intelligent enough to plug into neighbours electricity supply when they are out, I wonder???
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back