Affect of chlorine on plants

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone knows the effect of chlorine on plants?. After some essential reading on diferent sites i am planning of making my own weed killer to kill IVY.

It consists of 1/2 bleech (chlorine), 1/4 detergent and 1/4 vegetable oil.

Before i take this adventerous route i want to make sure chlorine does what exactly i want it to do :oops:

Sponsored Links
apart from poisoning the soil for anything you want to grow after im not sure. Why not buy a proper one that will do the job and is safe

wildchild said:
It consists of 1/2 bleech (chlorine), 1/4 detergent and 1/4 vegetable oil. :

hmm, sounds like you are going to make

slimy stuff (vegetable oil), broken down by detergent that smells.

the chlorine content of bleach is very feeble (typicaly less than 5% bleaching agent, of which only a small percentage IS chlorine)

Sponsored Links
If you want a chemical to kill ivy, SBK should do it. Ivy will need several applications. I have used pathclear but it only has a temporary effect. I used to use Sodium Chlorate (which you can spray onto leaves, as well as water onto plant roots).

SBK overspray will kill most things, but not grass. You can mix it with paraffin to combat the waxy leaves (instructions on the package).

I have found the bio-agents ;) more effective than chemicals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back