Air Conditioning Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to instal an air conditioning unit in my conservatory connected to the existing 13A ring main. What is the maximum power air conditioning unit I can use without having to rewire back to my consumer unit?

Sponsored Links
bear in mind we mean 3kw electrical power to the compressor. The heat and cooling output of the air con unit will also be quoted in kw, but will be much higher than the compressor's rating. You need to look on the electrical power input.

Also bear in mind that although the compressor's rating may be low enough to simply wire to a plug top, its starting current may be several times higher than the headline rating (for example a 2 amp compressor may draw 40 amps for a second when it starts*). For this reason, its normally recommended that air conditioners be put on their own circuit. The startup current, combined with other items on the ring main, can trip a normal MCB.

*this may trip a sensitive MCB but it wont blow a 13A plug top fuse.

Most (but not all) good quality air conditioners these days use an electronic soft starter for the compressor motor. This eliminates the starting transient

Sponsored Links
Crafty said:
(for example a 2 amp compressor may draw 40 amps for a second when it starts*)

*this may trip a sensitive MCB but it wont blow a 13A plug top fuse.

Why is that?
Why will a 13amp fuse not blow when 40amps are drawn?
Is it because it will only be brief

pbar said:
Why is that?
Yes its because its only drawn for a short period. In many circumstances a 32 amp MCB will trip before the plug fuse does. In heavy faults, for example a short circuit, many hundreds of amps are drawn briefly. This instantly trips the fast magnetic trip in the MCB but the plug fuse is usually unharmed because the MCB is so quick at clearing the fault.

Many fridge freezers have larger compressors. Our new one is quite loud when it starts, and the lights go dim for a second, like when someone turns the 9kw shower on!

The air conditioning unit i'm thinking of is rated as follows:

nominl power input KW min 0.5 nom 1.6 max 2.6

It is also equipped with an ECONO mode. This mode reduces the maximum operating current and power consumption by approximately 30% during start up.

So should it be OK to connect to the 13A mains?

Crafty said:
pbar said:
Why is that?
Yes its because its only drawn for a short period. In many circumstances a 32 amp MCB will trip before the plug fuse does. In heavy faults, for example a short circuit, many hundreds of amps are drawn briefly. This instantly trips the fast magnetic trip in the MCB but the plug fuse is usually unharmed because the MCB is so quick at clearing the fault.

Many fridge freezers have larger compressors. Our new one is quite loud when it starts, and the lights go dim for a second, like when someone turns the 9kw shower on!

Cheers for the info

Keith Pointon said:
The air conditioning unit i'm thinking of is rated as follows:

nominl power input KW min 0.5 nom 1.6 max 2.6

It is also equipped with an ECONO mode. This mode reduces the maximum operating current and power consumption by approximately 30% during start up.

So should it be OK to connect to the 13A mains?

It should be just fine, it will probably come with a 13A plug fitted - this is a dead giveaway that its designed to be plugged into a 13A socket :)

If you are really still unsure, ask the dealer!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back