air in how wter/heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a potterton boiler and a small tank in the loft, in addition to the hot water tank which is upstairs. When the boiler lights up (set on a timer) there is almost continous noise of air bubbling through the pies, for the first 30 minutes. I have bled all radiators but air is in the water system, not the rads. HELP!

Sponsored Links
Check the header tank is re-filling on its ballcock, else give some more details and history. Has the pump been changed recently? Try turning the speed down, does this help? Does it pump on the flow or return?

Raises more questions than answers at this stage, doesn't it :?:

meldrew's_mate said:
Check the header tank is re-filling on its ballcock, else give some more details and history. Has the pump been changed recently? Try turning the speed down, does this help? Does it pump on the flow or return?

system may also be corroded, if you need to keep bleeding rads its cause there no inhibiter in the system, wont cure the problem to add it but will help a lot and limit corrosion, had this problem in my last house, I flushed the system added sludge remover, drained 2 weeks later then added inhibitor and it deffo helped a lot !! make sure it aint pumping over also as advised above !

meldrew's_mate said:

I DON`T BELIEVE it, m8 :eek:

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry. I tried to be brief and failed to give all relevant information, so here goes.
I live in a two storey flat with a 16 year old central heating system. a potterton ideal neterheat, 8 radiators (four up and four down), a hot water tank in the airing cupboard with a grundfos pump, running at full speed. In the loft is a header(?) tank.
The ball valve appears to work perfectly with 4 inches of water in the tank. The 4 upstairs radiators heat up along with two of the downstairs ones. Two downstairs furthest from the boiler and pump do not work unless we close off two upstairs ones, when they heat up. There is no air in the radiators, just clean water.
The major problem is the noise of air in the pipes which is very loud and happens every time the system is turned on by the timer, twice a day. This noise is almost continuous for 30 minutes.
I have bled the pump with the big central screw. In the airing cupboard, between the hot water tank and the pump is a bleed screw, which lets out a little air when undone.
Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry, forgot to say that the advent of the noice coincides with the fitting of a new three way valve, about a year ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back