Airgaps when insulating pitched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do I really need to have an air gap between tile liner and insulation?? As this would greatly reduce headroom!! and does anybody know what the best material for noise insulation is (regarding the actual insulation and the plasterboard) i've heard that you can buy \\\'sound proof\\\' plasterboard!! is that so??

Any help would be great,

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you need to have an ait gap between the insulation and the tiles. 50mm I belive the regulations state. If you don't have it you will get problems with damp...

g_reg said:
Do I really need to have an air gap between tile liner and insulation?? As this would greatly reduce headroom!!
I can't see how it can reduce the headroom if you put the insulation between the rafters with 50mm air gap at the back.

ye thanks,,

the joists are 3" x 2",, so i want to use a substantial insulation to create sound insulation as well as heat!! therefore if i used 150mm thick insulation i would have to reduce head room to accommodate accordingly!!

i'm just not sure what insulation to use.. thats all

regards.

Sponsored Links
use 75 mm celotex between the rafters it will give you pretty good sound insulation too but yes you can use double check plasterboard as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back