alarm for condensate pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello im installing a condensate pump it has two wires that can be connected to an alarm in the event the unit stops working. The pump fills with water and activates a high level float swirch.
I have no idea what sort of alarm i need to use with the pump. I presume the wires cut supply so the alarm must have its own power but accept the 2 pump wires as sensor inputs.
does anyone have any suggestion what alarm would be suitable?

Sponsored Links
The condensate float switch would normally be connected to the boiler controller in order to switch it off and trigger a specific fault/warning condition at the boiler.

I`ll take Socdesign at his word for that.
If you wanted a remote alarm to work along then this is also possible using the same output.
Is it a normally closed voltage free change over contact?
If so it could be wired in series with any one of a few systems, do you want audible only or signalling? To a manned desk or something.

Either way it is possible. Done it many times for flood warning as one example.

yes i think the two wires are usually connected to the boiler to shut it down if the pump fails.
I thought it would be preferable to use a simple sound alarm though as it would be clear what was at fault and not affect the boiler.

the float switch is not connected to the rest of the circuit and has the two wires connected and another spare terminal that has nothing connected to it.

Sponsored Links
I suppose it comes down to your response time. Normally, you'd want to stop the condensate if there is an issue with the pump. If you want to do that manually based on a signal that triggers you into investigating, then it's really up to you.

My own preference would be to stop the condensate automatically, then provide a secondary alert to tell me that there is an issue with the condensate pump that in turn shut the boiler down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back