Alpha HECB33 - Using CH again now it's cold, strange noises!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now that the weather has cooled off enough to have the central heating on again in the morning, I've started noticing some stranges noises coming from the boiler itself shortly after startup and also whilst it remains on.

1) About a minute or so after the CH side is switched on I can hear a sound what I can only loosely describe as what a steam train would sound like before it pulls away from a station. A low rumbling that builds up, changes to a higher pitch, stays that way for a few minutes and then just disappears whilst the CH remains on.

2) Whenever the boiler decides the radiators need "topping up" to maintain their temperature I hear a single click noise shortly after the fan starts. This single click noise gets louder the longer the system remains on. This noise happens also happens when a hot water tap is turned on. We never paid much attention to it during the warmer months as it was nowhere near as loud as it can get now that the CH is also on.

3) Along with number 2) above, the boiler also sometimes makes a vibrating sound. I place my hand against the case when this happens and most of the time the noise seems to be surpressed. However, on occasion it seems that this noise happens regardless of whether my hand is pressing against the case or not so it doesn't appear to be a loose fitting cover.

Just to give some more background info...

This is an Alpha HECB33 that was installed at the start of this year so still under guarantee. It's the first time I've had a boiler installed, since the last one "came with the house" and so I've not had to deal with boiler guarantees, warranty etc in the past. Before I phone up Alpha and give them the above info to arrange a visit I have a question that I hope someone can answer so that I know roughly what I might expect them to offer...

Despite being under guarantee I'm not expecting Alpha, or indeed anyone, to give a free repair. However, I've looked through all the Alpha documentation that I was given at the time of installation and I cannot seem to find anything referring to what might or might not be offered when it comes to issues experienced during the guarantee period. Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
I personally fitted a CB33 in my house and they come with a 3 year warranty.

Mines been in over a year now and touch wood, no problems. As usual alpha been very good for me. As regards for the sounds make sure the air vent is open at the top of the boiler and maker sure enough water in the system.

Thanks for you reply Dan. I've looked on the boiler's schematic and the only thing I can see mentioned regarding venting of air is the "Automatic Air Vent" on the pump, see num 21 on the figure below...

Click to enlarge

Since it's in the middle of the boiler rather than "at the top" as you stated I'm assuming I've not found the right one. Did you perhaps mean num 12 the air pressure switch at the top left?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back