am I being ripped off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently redesigning our back garden I am currently working on making a new patio (lowering it to the same level as the conservatory) as the current one is designed completely wrong (you'll see what i mean when you see the pics) and I have got to the point where I need to get a builder in to build a retaining wall with steps. (leading to the rest of the garden from the patio)
because I'm on a tightish budget, I've tried to do alot of the work myself.
The first couple of pictures are of how the garden used to look inc a very badly drawn side view diagram
patio005hp2.jpg

patio006tq5.jpg

patio007am9.jpg

patio008qz3.jpg

sideviewwj0.jpg

I have removed all the old patio and dug the earth down to the conservatory level back about 4-5m in a semi circular area I have shaped the walls and made the area where I want the steps to go up into the rest of the garden.
Here's a pic from a bedroom of the carnage ;)
picture001px2.jpg

And this is the design of what I want the wall and steps to look like
buildingworkpv6.jpg

I have had 3 builders come round to have a look and give me quotes.
I asked all of them the same questions
Which were
1. How long do you think it will take?
2. If there's anything more I can do to keep the cost down let me know
3. Is what I'm asking for the best option to do?

The 1st builder said first of all asked what else I was going to do to the area, and I said I could do the footing he said ok I need to do the footing about 30-45cm wide and 70-80cm deep in a semi circle (to the base of the first step) then he will come and build the wall and the do a 2 brick depth step packing underneath the steps with hardcore.
Quote given £3950!!

The 2nd builder came round and said that he would prefer to do the footing and he would do the footings to follow the contours of the wall even up the side of the steps where the wall will go..then do the steps.
Quote given £6000 he said £3000 in materials £3000 labour

The 3rd builder
Also said he's prefer to do the footing and it would take 7 days,
Haven't had the quote back from him yet

The wall I'm asking for is a curved wall roughly 12m in total 1.20m high. Capped off with double bullnose bricks and then about 6 brick steps to be built into the garden/wall and 2 curved steps extending onto the patio.
I've been online to a brick calculator and it says I'll roughly need 1800 bricks to do a double brick wall those dimensions.

I would have thought a quote about 2000/2500 would have been more the ball park figure these quotes should have been coming in at..

Sponsored Links
Thx for the reply.
I'm not sure tbh.

I've roughly spec'd up the material costs.
and it's comming in at about £1500
and I would have thought roughly £1000 for 7 days work.
no? or am I way off the mark?

I would say 7 days with at least 2 men at £250 {labourer and trades] £160 for a skip or 2.
£1910 sounds about right.
If you called in a landscape gardener you would be looking at about another grand ontop with the ones I have encountered around my parts.
Pete

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back