Am I getting ripped off...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on getting some quotes from Electricians to run electic to a log cabin at the end of my garden and I would appreciate if someone could give me a rough idea on what to expect in terms of cost. Here are the details.

1. The house has a modern consumer unit and spare slots! (whatever they are called).

2. The consumer unit is 25 meters away from the cabin and I am expecting to have anothe consumer unit fitted in the cabin.

3. The cabin is 3.2 meters quare and I need 3 double plugs fitted and a light. I will provide the light.

4. The cabin is not yet bourded out so there is no work to do to hide truncing.

5. In terms of electic usage there will be two computers, a fridge, kettle, a small heater (2-3kw max) and an alarm. In the summer I will probably install a small aircon unit.

6. I will be laying my own network and phone cables so I will be digging the trench for all cabling including the armed cable.

My rough guess is the parts would not cost more than £300 and as the spark does not need to dig and fill the trench or do anything special with the cabling so I would not expect it to take more than 1 day.

Any input much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
How are we supposed to tell you if you are being ripped off when you haven't even had any quotes yet?

If you haven't boarded the walls yet then you need to get an electrician in to run the cables before you board it up (first-fix). Then he'll come back to fit the sockets, switches and lights afterwards (second-fix). This alone will spread the time over a number of days (depending on when he is available and how long it takes for you to board the cabin.

Davy

1 day is a bit lean.

By time the sparks has done the 1st fix, left site, returned to second fix, then fully test and certify the job. I would be looking at a day and a half, maybe even two days personally.

You may find that the job is not as simple as just putting the cables in, then popping something on the end of the cables.

You do not mention ducting in the trench. IMO it is a must.

Sorry, I know I used a misleading subject line. I guess all I am after is a ball park figure. I need the work done quickly so I can't spend weeks getting several quotes from different people so a rough idea will help me make a decision if I can go with the first quote or shop around. I really have no idea if this will cost me £500 or £1500 or even more.

I was kind of hoping the spark could install the sockets before I board it out and let me worry about moving them (or boarding around them) when I board and insulate the walls. The reason is the cabin is new and has to settle for several weeks before it can be boarded and insulated and I need electric in there before then.

Thanks for the input.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

doh! ducking? I thought you could lay armed cable directly underground. Assuming it would take two days (and I don't know if I should be asking this) what is the typical daily rate for a spark?

Sponsored Links
john_pullen said:
doh! ducking? I thought you could lay armed cable directly underground. Assuming it would take two days (and I don't know if I should be asking this) what is the typical daily rate for a spark?

Its ducting... a pipe for running the cables through. You can lay SWA directly underground but its better to put it in ducting so it can be replaced/upgraded at a later date without having to re-dig the whole trench. It also provides a small amount of protection too.

Sorry, but there isn't a 'typical daily rate'. It varies considerably across the country and there's also a forum rule against asking:

Forum rules said:
9) Please don't ask costs / prices. Get several quotes, then you will know for sure

It depends on several factors:
Your location, Access to job, material costs, labour rate etc, any prices mentioned should not be relied upon / maybe old prices
Please get several quotes
There is no such thing as an "average" house (since your requirements will be different)

;)

john_pullen said:
Sorry, I know I used a misleading subject line. I guess all I am after is a ball park figure. I need the work done quickly so I can't spend weeks getting several quotes from different people so a rough idea will help me make a decision if I can go with the first quote or shop around. I really have no idea if this will cost me £500 or £1500 or even more.

I was kind of hoping the spark could install the sockets before I board it out and let me worry about moving them (or boarding around them) when I board and insulate the walls. The reason is the cabin is new and has to settle for several weeks before it can be boarded and insulated and I need electric in there before then.

Thanks for the input.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am sorry to say this John but someone needs to tell you to get real, you want the job done quickly but you don't want to pay for it, there are alot of customers out there you know! We are not all standing round waiting for your call.

John,
I'm a DIYer and I know that you cannot ask the pro's here to give you the answer you want. Best practice is to invite 2 or 3 local leckys to each give you a quote for the work. Write it down, copy it as required, show them the site, tell them what you want, as written, and give them the sheet. The suggestion about the ducting is well given.

john_pullen said:
I need the work done quickly...
In that case you should have started earlier. The balance of probabilities is the best people won't be available as quickly as you want.

If you want my opinion (not that its worth more than anyone else's) then getting three quotes is merely guaranteed to waste the time of a minimum of two tradespeople. This is the main reason I never quote (not that I'm an electrician, but the same rules apply).

If you want someone who's good, then get a recommendation from a friend, neighbour or colleague. Call that person and ask them for an estimate, not a quotation.

I think it only fair to explain the difference between the two, Softus.

An estimate is just that: the final price for materials and/or labour may vary from the original amount quoted. However, if I do an estimate, and find out the final bill will be more, I will stop and say so, and estimate what the total will be, based on my knowledge at that moment.

A quote is a fixed price: even if it costs the tradesperson twice as much as their estimate, you are only bound to pay that which was agreed between yourselves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back