Amended forum rules

Sponsored Links
On the subject of rule 9 (don't ask costs/prices) wasn't there a decision a few months ago that it was acceptable for ask for prices, or did I dream it?

You did not dream it, but it never actually came into being either.

At the time rule 9 was amended to make allowances for those who did ask prices but rule 9 also said that any quotes or prices should not be relied upon.

Often a poster may say for example

"how much to plaster a wall"

As no further information was offered by the poster i.e size of wall etc this lead to "guestimates and silly answers" from forum members, to a point I can understand

Also posters never take into consideration other varying factors, such as their location, traveling time etc.

So all in all asking for a price on a forum, where no one can actually see the job is pointless

I don't really agree with this. If someone asks how much to plaster a wall?" then they deserve the silly answers but if someone asks "how much to fit a letterbox in a hardwood door, my builder wants to charge me £500" then they probably get a useful answer. I'm sure we went through all this before.

Sponsored Links
yeh but its say one thing do another on this site most of the time it seems

Found it!

What about this then you miserable moderator?

As I said before, the price question, has been more of a guideline than a rule, but if people want to ask and people want to answer then I dont see a problem with that,

Back to the original topic, I think as people want to ask 'How much....' type questions, then we'll relent on that rule/guideline.

Both of these are quotes from DIYnot Site Admin (your boss). Are you trying to sneak rules in by the back door, is this an attempted coup? Is Admin on holiday again, will you have your feet up on his desk when he comes back? (By the way, if you want to change the lock on his office door it'll be about £30 plus parts.) :)

petewood said:
By the way, if you want to change the lock on his office door it'll be about £30 plus parts.) :)

To avoid any confusion. Obviously thats not a quote (well it is actually) and you should go and seek a few more estimates.

I like this one 14) Don't comply? say goodbye is that the same as it's my ball and your not playing!

Bazdaa

petewood said:
I don't really agree with this.

it would seem that you do agree with me

petewood said:
If someone asks how much to plaster a wall?" then they deserve the silly answers

since i said
moderator said:
"guestimates and silly answers" from forum members, to a point I can understand

petewood said:
but if someone asks "how much to fit a letterbox in a hardwood door, my builder wants to charge me £500" then they probably get a useful answer. .

But they don't though, people still expect that you guys and gals (sorry to WoodYouLIke) know exactly what they are doing when they give you little or no information

Well mod, while you're at it, next time make it:

you guys and 'galls'
:D :D :D :D

done :)

petewood said:
Found it!

What about this then you miserable moderator?

As I said before, the price question, has been more of a guideline than a rule, but if people want to ask and people want to answer then I dont see a problem with that,

Back to the original topic, I think as people want to ask 'How much....' type questions, then we'll relent on that rule/guideline.

Both of these are quotes from DIYnot Site Admin (your boss). Are you trying to sneak rules in by the back door, is this an attempted coup? Is Admin on holiday again, will you have your feet up on his desk when he comes back? (By the way, if you want to change the lock on his office door it'll be about £30 plus parts.) :)

Petewood, you may not like what i do (moderating) but let me throw this gauntlet down to you.

If you do not like what i do, why don't you try it for yourself and see what it is like. You will have to apply to admin for the job.

If you do not want the job (moderating) then please no not argue with me, if you want, and get the the job, good luck

but let me throw this gauntlet down to you.

Oooh I say, I never got savaged by a mod before. :)

Petewood, you may not like what i do (moderating)

I never said I don't like what you do, I know that moderating is necessary to keep the forum running smoothly and not getting shut down.

why don't you try it for yourself and see what it is like. You will have to apply to admin for the job.

I would have absolutely no interest in doing this. I could never be bothered to read through subjects like electrics and gardening looking for people to censor.

If you do not want the job (moderating) then please no not argue with me,

Lynda (is it Lynda?) whyever not? I do not want the job of a prime minister or a traffic warden but I am happy to argue with them, it's what they are there for. :) If you say something I think is wrong why should I not argue with you, in the same way that you are arguing with me? :)

Thanks for you point of view / opinion.

Does any one else want the job of moderator?

if so apply to admin

Sponsored Links
Back