american voltage =120v uk 240v. how can i convert

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently purchased a lamp from America and thought a travel adaptor would enable me to use it. But because the lamp uses 120v and the adaptor is 240v the bulb blew. What can I do. Please help as the lamp is a christmas prezzie for my 5 year old. Thanks

Sponsored Links
use an 110V transformer.
NOTE: america uses 60hz where we use 50hz. the transformer will not change this. for lamps tho the frequency diferene shouldnt effect it much

andrew2022 said:
use an 110V transformer.
NOTE: america uses 60hz where we use 50hz. the transformer will not change this. for lamps tho the frequency diferene shouldnt effect it much
Thank you so much for your quick responce, it is much appreciated. I,m not much of an electrician, everything usually goes bang. Thanks once again, Mavis

what kind of lamp is it? could be possible to change the bulb to 230V if the switches and wire can take the extra voltage

Sponsored Links
andrew2022 said:
what kind of lamp is it? could be possible to change the bulb to 230V if the switches and wire can take the extra voltage
It's an Elvis Presley lamp that revolves inside to show pictures moving. (Yes, it's unbelievable but I've got a 5 year old that love's Elvis!!) Thanks again, Mavis

I think you are being irresponsible, giving a mains operated lamp to a 5 year old child,
You have not thought this through, lamp from America, 120 v lamp, switch may not be of correct rating for use over here, suitable sized lamp may get too hot, yackety yackety yackety, in short it is probably not designed for use in a european country. you still have time, bin the thing, and buy a decent responsible present

lamps are NOT toys. you give toys to children not mains operated lamps.

I can see the head lines now:

Irresponsible parent buys child U.S.A. Light, child electrocuted, now all shook up

I think you are being irresponsible, giving a mains operated lamp to a 5 year old child,
Aw, that's a bit unfair. Accepting, that the voltage difference was an oversight, that anyone (without an inherant interest in public electrical supply systems) could have made. After all, you don't know the child involved, or the circumstances, under which, the parents are expecting to allow the child to get the benefit of it. I got my first soldering iron as a christmas present at 5 years old (not a toy, but a real one) and was thrilled to bits with it. Obviously, for some time, I was supervised very closely in it's use.

Potentially riding a bicycle can be lethal, but obviously there are plenty of toddlers tootling around on them quite safely. Allowing them to negotiate spaghetti junction, now that would be a different matter altogether :mad:

I still disagree, "oh its only a light what harm can it do?" yeah right
a soldering iron is a tool, you knew waht it was for, you knew what it can dogets hot and melts solder) as i said its only a light what harm can it do? yeah right, its not a toy.you were also supervised with a soldering iron, are you going to supervise a child with a light? NO!

I still disagree, "oh its only a light what harm can it do?"
You're still making assumptions. I can envisage this lamp being placed on a high shelf, out of the nippers reach, and an adult turning it on for him, so that he can see it from his bed as he goes to sleep, (while mummy is telling him a bed time story until he is asleep). She could then unplug the device, before she makes her discreet exit. As I say, without knowing the circumstances under which it is going to be used, we cannot possibly know wether it is irresponsible or not.

i cant see the problem with a 5 year old having a light. the only problem i can see is the fact that it is 110V so it will need a transformer. how where will the transformer be? hopefully either on a high shelf near the lamp, or out of the room and somewhere the kid cant easily get it wit an extension lead going to the lamp

its quite possible the light is fully enclose with the heat rising turning a central section as it escapes
now that could give two issues one it could be safe as no bulb exposed so no burning of fingers or removing bulbs for an inpromtued afro hair style

or the other thought if the bulb is to big[wattage wise]it may overheat

now i dont know the setup but it may be possible to insert some battery powerd lantern style torch to illuminate elvis

breezer said:
Irresponsible parent buys child U.S.A. Light, child electrocuted, now all shook up

All shook up ah ah ah... Sounds like Elvis to me breezer. :LOL:

congratulations :LOL: you are the first to notice that, it was deliberate. perhaps the poster should get the child a pair of blue suede shoes instead

But don't forget - a hound dog is for life, not just for Christmas.

PS - Breezer - lighten up...

Are you lonesome, tonight?
Is your kitchen a fright?
Does your sink back up onto the floor?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back