Amtico/karndean/?others

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

We are ripping out our old flooring from the kitchen/conservatory (brick built)/downstairs (very small) WC and are thinking of a new surface.

We have been through the variety of floors available (hard/solid/engineered/tiles; wood/vinyl/ceramic/lino and so on) and have now been pointed in the direction of amtico/karndean. At this early stage in our research on these two they appeal to us.

What we think you may have are thoughts on either of these or, indeed, any alternative(s) we may have overlooked.

Any and all thoughts most gratefully appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Interesting you should ask this question as my wife and I are going through the very same process. We finished our en-suite 6 months ago and are still walking on bare boards because we can't agree on a floor.

She asked me what I thought would be a reasonable budget for the floor. I thought "Hmm... say £100 but let's double it - £200 then." This is a small room about 4 metres square. The quote for Carndean was ONE THOUSAND POUNDS! This is because of the cost of the material but also the big song-and-dance that goes with installation, levelling etc. I strongly suspect that the public is being spectacularly conned over these "upmarket" floors.

I would be happy to put down some vinyl, on the basis that if I needed to take it up to repair a leaking pipe it wouldn't be a disaster. But vinyl is just not acceptable, apparently.

And so the argument continues.

£200.00 for a quality 3-strip engineered (real wood) floor would be alright (based on 4 - 5 sq m), if you DIY-it ;) That price even includes the underlayment and 1 threshold (oh, and the VAT)

Sponsored Links
we had the same debate 12 moths ago soon ditched amtico as too expensive,double the cost of karndean and not much difference in quality,fitting is all in the floor preperation no lumps, bumps or dips,we had professional fitter ,good finish but after watching him work im certain i could have saved £450 and diy'ed it ,also shop around for prices as there can be big differences you might want to check this site http://www.floorsonline.co.uk/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back