Ancient Brittany II Water Heater wont light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ....My wife has been washing up with cold water for months.....we only have showers now, but its getting silly now.
We have this silly old Brittany II water heater supplying hot water to the kitchen sink & bathroom on one floor - This is the problem!!! It simply wont light....the pilot is on & I've twiddled, screwed - unscrewed most bits on it but it still refuses to light...
There isn't much to it ....just the Heat exchanger & 1 set of valve gear..

I cant see any obvious fault, but I aint a plumber!!...I am about to submit to a repalcement but am reluctant because
...we have this Brittany thing for the Kitch & bath on 1st floor... Then we have a Vailant combi for the central Heating & hot water downstairs in the original kitchen that also powers the central heating throughout the ground floor............* another Stelrad Ideal NF30 serving the central heating on 1st & 2nd floors!!..what a mess...even explaining is chaotic Ggrooooannn!!!
I am gonna post this & see if any of you could advise me what to do? & I'll write a clearer description of the whole picture of our heating conundrum...Please reply soon its getting pretty cold in Kent Brrrr
Regards & Thanks Cole1

Sponsored Links
Right.So I bought this 3 Storey Terrace House about 4 years ago....... It has previously been split into two flats & also let as bedsits in the past.... The result is....
Ground floor: Vailant Combi - Supplys Grd Flr kitchen hot water & Grd flr Central Heating (
This works but loses pressure & also wont switch to Hot Water although the rads stay hot if I keep repressurising it intermittently - Suspected faulty Diverter Valve?) ANy advice?
First Floor: Brittany II Water Heater - Supplying 1st flr bathroom & kitchen hot water only (Wont Light - See previous Post)
First & Second floor: Central Heating supplied by Stelrad Ideal NF30 - Central Heating only on 1st & 2nd floors (No Probs, I have been advised that this is the best out of the 2 Boilers) Is it a Combi & could it serve the 3 floors water & heating from its location on 1st floor?

I hope I have clarrified & not muddied the waters further....Absolutely any replies would be SOooooo Appreciated
Cole1

Britony II problem is failed diaphragm - easy to replace.

As for the Vaillant, you need to find where it's losing water - check the discharge pipe from the PRV. Do a search of the forum for more info.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back