1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Annoying customers Top Ten

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by sparkwright, 11 Aug 2016.

1. EFLImpudence

EFLImpudence

Thanks Received:
    Portugal
    How do you think he affords a brand new Merc and Range Rover?

People are well off because they're tight; not tight because they're well off.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Lectrician

Lectrician

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A small job to replace an outside light. The existing one had rotted. On the phone the lady said she needed her outside light replaced, I asked "would you like a four or six sided lantern, black or white, or a half lantern, black or white?"

She asked if I could bring all six so she could see.

Not only did I take all six, I had to hold each up, which was annoying as they needed to go back.

She chose the white half lantern.

The old light had to be snapped off, new light fitted. 20mins work. Minutes from our offices.

Lady looked at finished job and said it wasn't the light she had chosen. I assured her it was, and she said "the one I chose was magnolia, it matched the walls". I said I only had black or white. She was really annoyed and rude, saying she wanted the old one back up. No chance of that, it was in pieces!

She just kept saying she wasn't happy, and didn't want to pay what was quoted. It was only a quick job, a £20 light. I lost my rag, told her to pay what she liked, and walked off.

I went to our offices, just me there. Doing some paperwork, I heard the front door open. The woman turns up saying to me "I've come to settle a bill, and I wasn't too happy about how your electrician spoke to me". She didn't realise it was me

• Like Like x 1
  4. AndyPRK

AndyPRK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Did you say; I'm very sorry madam. I'll have sword with him.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I had a call from a customer yesterday asking me to supply and fit a new toilet seat saying that she wanted to try it before she paid me.

Did she think I would bring it back to the shop saying the customer didn't find it comfortable?

You couldn't make it up.

Andy

• Like Like x 2
  6. SteveP86

SteveP86

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Obviously your own kitchen doesn't measure up lol

7. flyingsparks

flyingsparks

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    "The customer is always right"

Unless the customer is a complete Rse.

8. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We had been working for many hours on the radar equipment of a Norwegian ship. The sparks ( radio officer ) was an unfriendly female and when we asked if it was possible to get a tea or coffee she expalined that she was not a catering officer.

As we were sitting in the van she walked up and asked if we could give her lift to the dock gate ( and maybe was it to the railway station ). Almost in unison "" We are not a taxi service "" and drove off.

Next visit to that ship we got tea and cake.

9. flyingsparks

flyingsparks

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Recently working for my brothers mother in law. There she is in the kitchen making bacon sandwiches and tea for her husband (farmer coming in for his 10am breakfast) thought I may get offered at least a tea as I was working next to her in the kitchen...
    Not a thing. For 2 weeks working there nothing was offered. I told my brother and he said that is typical of her and to help myself!

10. Sponsored Links
  11. Risteard

Risteard

Thanks Received:
    Ireland
    It absolutely is unreasonable and a breach of Health & Safety legislation. Boots are part of your PPE and should remain firmly on your feet whilst toiling.

• Like Like x 2
  12. deadshort

deadshort

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    On site. Not in the customers sitting room when you're changing a light fitting:p

DS

13. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I agree do not remove safety shoes, put on covers yes, but do not remove. Easy to step on some thing which damages your foot, and then you have no claim as you have removed PPE.

I remember my son and apprentice being asked to remove shoes, and the apprentice started to remove his, followed by an Oh not you don't from my son, they are PPE, go and get the shoe covers from the van. Followed by sorry, he'll learn, still a bit green. The request was not repeated in that house.

As to the customer knows too much, wife took her car for repair to auto electrician and was told, your husband is an auto electrician get him to do it, and refused point blank to repair the car, even after she pointed out I was in Falklands and would be there for another 3 months.

• Like Like x 1
  14. securespark

securespark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That's right.

However, I think the point was that people choose to spend their money on certain things. Obviously, this family wanted to shell-out on expensive cars (which show their status to others), and did not place any value in household maintenance, while still wanting the job done.

15. eveares

eveares

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    In what way?

Would you also have a problem if the customer had specific requirements such as wanting a neutral at every light switch or wanted a certain brand of DB/CU?

16. Iggifer

Iggifer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes. If it wasn't hager! (y) Seriously though, customers often choose the cheapest tack they can find. If you've got to warranty it, well within your right to say nope

17. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    True - but if, as being suggested, a customer's request was being interpreted as meaning that (s)he was "over-knowledgeable", it's fairly unlikely that they would be asking for 'cheap tack' (unless their 'excessive knowledge' only related to prices!), isn't it?

Kind Regards, John