Annoying vent... block it up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a house built in 1997 where each room has a vent in one of the outside walls. Presumably this is just for airflow.

The problem is that we want to wallpaper a wall in the bedroom which has one of these vents in it.

Has anybody either:

a) Wallpapered over one of these things successfully (i.e. without it looking awful)?

or

b) Blocked one of these vents up and wallpapered over it?

This is the only house I know with vents in it - most don't have them, so what harm could come of blocking one up?

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
This is the only house I know with vents in it - most don't have them, so what harm could come of blocking one up?
Condensation, leading to mould, leading to spores in the air, leading to death. If you block them up, just leave a few windows open for a few hours a day to vent the water your appliances and you produce (a 5 person household puts about 10 kg of water into the air every day (without taking into account any heating))

OK.. so I like life and the vent isn't that annoying. How come most of the other houses I have lived in haven't had one?

Maybe because the windows were always badly fitting and provided ventilation by mistake! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Course it takes about 5 years for condensation in a property to become life threatening.. all im saying is open a window once or twice.. i live in an area where 90% of the population are over 80 and like to keep the house nice and snug all year round.
Im about to remove 2 old vents from my bungalow bedroom without a thought.

I blocked mine up, some idiot designer had placed the vent high up in our sitting room, and you saw it as you came in the door, so I bricked it up,cemented over it, and lined the wall, I did this about 7 years ago, and we have had no problems with condensation, probably cause I always have a window open.

You must have a vent if you have a back boiler, cause of the carbon monoxide,thats why we had one, but the back-boiler has been taken out, so I did the same with the vent.

benwhite said:
I live in a house built in 1997 where each room has a vent in one of the outside walls. Presumably this is just for airflow.

I assume your windows are upvc, do you have any trickle vents in them?

benwhite said:

Did a house with similar prob recently, circia 1990 but these vents were where baxi gas heaters were installed in each room instead of c/htg :eek: They had c/htg installed and Baxi's ripped out, hit and miss vents replaced the baxi's :eek: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back