Another Ceiling Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have battoned 44x44mm timber all around the perimeter of my room by using rawl plugs and screws into the brick walls rather than the existing ceiling.

I am now going to put batton across from these to form a grid to attach the plasterboard to.

I was going to use angle brackets to put the battons across the room, will this be sufficient to take the weight, or do I need to screw up into the joists too?

Thanks

Tony

Sponsored Links
will it not sag in the middle? what size is the room and what size batons were you intending to use? I guess that unless they are substantial, or somehow connected to the existing ceiling it will sag

Definately screw up into the joists. With a decent cordless screwdriver that will be an easy job. Use 5 x 100 size screws, Pozi 2 bit and you're away.

The ony problem is that at the moment the batons around the room are about 1cm from the existing ceiling in places (original ceiling is not level). So if I connect batons across there is a gap between them and the exiting ceiling which may make it difficult to screw into the joists above.

I really don't want to take all the batons down and remove the ceiling due to time and mess!, but it looks like this is my only course of action now :cry:

I have removed a small part of the ceiling and located a joist, if my house was built about 1890, how far apart will the joists be?

Thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
as breezer says, get in the loft and have a look, alternativly take out a section of the ceiling between two joist to get the spacing. If you are only talking an inch difference use a larger batten, or make up same spacers cut out of ply and pre drill them.

So, if I screw directly into the baton, and fill the gap with ply or thin slices of wood, will it still be secure?

I can't look from above as I am already in trouble for starting this job and messing up the kitchen and the bedroom floor above has a laminated floor

Thanks

this is a case of "not enough informaton given in the first place"

oly thing i would suggest then is poke a small screwdriver through the ceiling untill you hit a joist.

do this repeatedly until you get to know where the first few joists are, then measure from joist to joist and mark same

Yes it will be secure just ensure you use screws long enough to take account of the extra depth. You are going to need to locate the joists, you could use a stud detector, which are about 15 - 20 quid. Make sure you locate any wires and pipes first as well

Thermo

I tried using a stud detector, but it appeared to pick up the Lathes too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back