Another cold radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've replaced a radiator in the ground floor lounge as the existing one was to small to actually warm the room up. (checked using BTU calcultors and the amount of jumpers I was wearing!)

I have bled the system and there is no air in the new radiator, all the other radiators are hot but the new one is only warm at the top.

Any chance it is sludge from elsewhere in the system or is my pump to small or something else?

Sponsored Links
Air lock in rad.......guaranteed :cry:

Try turning off all rad valves except that one and the pump might move it.

So basically turn all the rad's off except the new one? I'll try that tonight.

JUst out of interest where will the airlock go?
I.e. does this just move it elsewhere in the system.

Do I have to bleed the new rad once all the others are turned off?

The air isn't in the rad, or the rad would be cold at the top.
It's in the pipes.
Once it's in a rad you can vent it.

Sponsored Links
13adl1x said:
JUst out of interest where will the airlock go?
I.e. does this just move it elsewhere in the system.

Do I have to bleed the new rad once all the others are turned off?

It might move it to anywhere in the system so you will have to bleed rads again. some may bleed itself depending on your system.
shut off all rads except that one.

Hello tried shutting them all down except the cold one and it hasn't made much difference.

The only point I forgot to add is that the old rad was contacted to 10mm pipes, in total i replaced about 2 foot of the 10mm with 15mm pipe.

Would this make any difference?

Has one of the rad valves got a drain off?
May be able to " drag" air lock out of pipes through it.

13adl1x said:
Hello tried shutting them all down except the cold one and it hasn't made much difference.
quote]

OK......This is what i would do !

Shut off both rad valves and undo nuts nearest to rad. drain rad into bowl and remove rad.
Then open one valve into bowl or through hose until air has come through and then do same with other valve.
refit rad and bleed.

Should I turn the heating off first or can I just leave it on obviously making sure that I top the pressure up?

Turn heating off whenever your bleeding rads or in this case removing them, that's all your doing is heating water and throwing it away expense to yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back