another fused spur question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to install a new socket in our home... having identified a suitably located ring-main socket from which to run a spur, I discovered this was already being used to power our burglar alarm, via a fused spur.

Can I run another cable, either from the original socket, or from the burglar alarm fuse unit, to power my new socket?

I suspect the answer is no... :(

Mike

Sponsored Links
depends on the rating of the fuse in the consumers unit for the alrm, you can do as you suggest but if the fuse is too small, but it also depends on size of cable to fcu.

can you not break into the ring and put new socket into existing ring?

Thanks for the reply. Breaking into the ring is an option but slightly more awkward for routing of cables. Maybe I'll just call in a professional...

PS for what it's worth, the fuse in the alarm consumer unit is 13A

13A fuse in a consumers unit? dont mean the fcu do you (white box same size as a switchh) it should be 3 amp.

i would still break into the ring, thats waht any electrciain should do, so you will pay for something you could do your self.

Sponsored Links
I'm confused as to what should have which fuse ...I do mean a white box the same size as a switch - is that the consumer's unit? That has a 13A fuse in it.

sorry i was busy earlier, no it should have a 3 A fuse

67157_l.jpg

fcu (fused connection unit)

60251_l.jpg

cosumers unit

other makes of fcu and consumers units are available

OK, I'm getting there slowly. So it looks like I should change the fuse in the fcu...

As for the consumer unit - well, the alarm doesn't have its own mcb, it's on a spur from the ring main.

And back to my original question... can I run another cable from what I now know to be an fcu to power a socket?

you can, but it will be protected via the 3 amp fuse you are going to put in.

why not put the new socket on the ring, you can do it very easily

You know what, I get the impression you think I should put the new socket on the ring. :LOL:

I'll give it a go - thanks for your help!

mike

it is always better to put an addition IN the ring as opposed to a spur.

if you want the new socket in very close to the cosummers unit you could

main switch to OFF

remove one cable for ring from mcb (put this into new socket)

install new 2.5mm cable from new socket back to mcb

so now new socket is in ring

even though off the incoming side of the switch is LIVE

turn mains back on

An alternative way, is to put an Unswitched Fused Connection Unit on the ring in a convenient spot, and fit a 13amp fuse in it, then run a 2.5 sq mm cable off its output terminals, to the new socket location, and connect it accordingly.

Millenium_Boy, done that, been there. thats what the poster asked if he could do (connect to the fcu)

OK, back again this weekend...

My biggest problem with extending the ring main is locating and routing cables... the house is a new one with solid concrete floors and I have no idea where the cables run between sockets! Any suggestions if there's anything I can do to find them (and to put in new ones) without cutting through large amounts of plasterboard...which would not make me popular, particuarly on Valentine's Day!

:)

Breezer - about to open up an old arguement between me & thee (breezer groans)

Some BA panel manufacturers insist on 2 A fuse in the FCU.

As I said in a previous post, I had a problem (I suspect with a faulty PCB) on a BA panel, and they refused to replace under wty because I had used a 3A fuse not 2A in the FCU. So I went off to WF and bought a bagfull of 2A fuses.........

seconds away, round 2:

still don't see the point (2 a Fuse) when 3 is fine, and also there is a 1a fuse in its own "minature fcu" cam across a "galaxy panel" it had a 20mm glass 1 A fuse, so what does it matter ehat is in the fcu, so long as it protects the cable.

.........and securespark, has breezer in a half nelson, but breezer does a half flip and body slam to securespark and ......yes, yes the ref is counting one,......two.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back