Another new house problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Further to my first post on the security light issue, I thought I would ask your opinion on a problem with isolator switches for extractor fans.

In our new house we have four WCs, all with extractor fans. Two I can reach OK, but the two on the top floor (a bathroom and an ensuite) I cannot reach even on tip-toe.

Are there some rules that say they have to be at a certain height, or can they be put anywhere?

I find it strange that two are OK and two are impossible. I have been told that they are not emergency isolators, so I shouldn't need to get to them should a problem occur. I have also been told that they're meant to be left on anyway.....anything basically to prevent them having to do anything about them.

They have offered to adjust the time they stay on after turning out the light, but the issue of not being able to reach them in an emergency is something I am concerned about, if indeed I need to be concerned.

Sponsored Links
the isolators are there only for maintenance (the fans are usually supplied from the lighting circuit - so the isolation switch means u don't have to work in the dark if you need to change the fan)

The isoaltor switches are usually placed fairly hi up out of the way as there is no need to use them on a regulay basis. They are not there for emergency purposes

Its a good idea also to use switched fused spurs with 'ON' written on the switch and mount upside down if its above head height. And yes I know this say's 'NO' but gives an indication of the state of the supply.

p.s. fitted a spur for electric doors at our surgery, and the fitters refitted the switch the 'right' way up. You can't win!

Thanks for the info.

I will have to accept the position of the switches, then. When I got home last night I had to switch on the fan, as my husband had been putting up a corner shelf in the shower. I just managed to reach the very bottom of the switch, on tip-toe, with the very tip of my finger. I'm 5' 5" and it was a struggle.

I was thinking this morning that it may be an idea to run some wiring into the ensuite and install a pull-switch for controlling the fan. This would probably mean a blanking plate where the switch is now, unless it can be filled in and painted without showing. It's only plasterboard. The light switch is also on the outside of the room, so it wouldn't be confused with that.

Sponsored Links
Do they not switch on and off with the bathroom light then ? The switches you mention shouldn't be for everyday turning on and off.....

Yes, the fan comes on with the light, but we don't always want the fan to come on, for instance, when brushing teeth. I would like to be able to turn it off to save hearing the droning noise unnecessarily and to possibly save electricity, if indeed the fans use much, as they do continue for some time after the light goes out.

My concern about being able to reach them in an emergency has been addressed, but I would still like to be able to reach it in normal use, for the reason, among others, mentioned above.

Hi Diane

Another option might be to swap the light switch for a two-gang (or 3 if it's already a 2)and have the extra switch control the power to the fan.

topsparks said:
Hi Diane

Another option might be to swap the light switch for a two-gang (or 3 if it's already a 2)and have the extra switch control the power to the fan.

That's a good idea. Looks like we'll be keeping you busy if you come to do the security light!!

If the fan makes that much noise, get a new one - they fitted a new one at one of the shops i have worked at recently, and you couldn't hear it working, but it was definitely on. (think it was a manrose) The dont use much electric, less than 50 watts. Has your fan got a timer adjustment? use that and make it go off sooner.

crafty1289 said:
If the fan makes that much noise, get a new one - they fitted a new one at one of the shops i have worked at recently, and you couldn't hear it working, but it was definitely on. (think it was a manrose) The dont use much electric, less than 50 watts. Has your fan got a timer adjustment? use that and make it go off sooner.

It must have a timer adjustment, as they said that we could have the time changed if we want. Not sure where it is, though, in order to do it ourselves. It would probably take them six months to come and sort it, as happened with the shower screen, which has only just been sorted after eight months!

A replacement could be a possibility sometime.

how about swap the isolation switch for a light pull - that way the cord hangs down to within your reach :cool:

Greatest Dancer said:
how about swap the isolation switch for a light pull - that way the cord hangs down to within your reach :cool:

Yes, I think I mentioned that in my second post, in a roundabout sort of way. I think that would be a good idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back