Another noisy boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Baxi Solo boiler (WM40/4RS) is intermittently making strange noises... I thought it may be because of the high winds but since they have dropped, it's still doing it. The best way to describe the noise is as if you were blowing hard on the gas flame...I have absolutley no idea what it could be.

The heating seems to be working fine but I'm sure it shouldn't be sounding like that!!

Is there anyone here that could maybe give me an idea of the problem and what sort of cost would be involved to put it right?

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
I think your first port of call should be a service.
Call a Corgi and he will advise you after looking at your boiler. :D

Sponsored Links
I have had the problem sorted - the insulation had fell onto the burner so that was fixed and the insides were cleaned.

Since we had work done though, we seem to be using a hell of a lot of gas - we're on a pre-payment meter and are using £20 or more a week on gas. This is a great deal more on what we were using pre-fix.

Does this seem a lot to anyone else? Is there a reason for the huge jump in gas usage?

You can easily use your gas meter to check the 'gas rate' of the boiler.

According to manufacturer's documentation, warmed up and running, the boiler is supposed to burn 1.42 cubic metres /hour or 50.07 cubic feet /hour.

With all other gas appliances EXCEPT the boiler off, time the use of 1 cu foot of gas (one complete revolution of the red pointer) or (if a metric meter) time it for 2 minutes, do the sums to convert to consumption per hour and compare with the figures above. Obviously, the burner must be on all the time you are timing the meter.

If the rate is higher than it should be (eg. more than 53 cu feet / hour), you MUST get the engineer back urgently to adjust it properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back