Another numpty question - X values

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone confirm that the X values for Cu pipe fittings are the same for fittings of the same type (example end feed) but from different manufacturers ?

Anyone know of a reference site for X values (being lazy !!)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
OK, OK I give up - please no more.......

Right, I figured it out the old fashioned way. Bear in mind Im a numpty trainee and wanted to find out the x value for a joint fitting. Now you folk will know this thru experience but I managed to sort it.

Basically I wanted join 2 lengths of 15mm pipe with 2 x 90 end feed bends and a 3rd bit of pipe and maintain the centre to centre measure of the first 2 pipes. that is, calculate the impact of the elbows on my measure.

Answer was 10mm per elbow so trim the pipe by 20mm.

Now - would this be the same for different suppliers of end feed fittings, or is this standard. Also If I were to use compression fittings, would the impact be greater or lesser ?

Oh - and while im asking silly questions, what would be the impact if this were a 22mm set up using either end feed, solder ring or compression.

Go on...you know you want to show off that knowledge...............

Right, this is a kind of trick that colleges teach their trainees to enable them to get pipes cut without wastage. ( Thats the college's wastage that is ! )

Most solder fittings are within a mm or so of each other whatever the make.

I dont do much pipework and cut the pipes 1 mm less than the just touching measurement which is good enough for my infrequent work.

For high quality quick work its usually quicker and easier to cut the pipe off to suit each joint as you go along. I retain the cut off pieces and use the longest piece of pipe first.

Colleges expect trainees to do pipework to within 2 mm. The problem with that is they are doing it to a design and not measuring the distance around the chimney breast so when they try it for real they are lost!

Same with rads. They install rads on a flat wall int he college, not under a window ledge and in a restricted gap between the chimney. They leave college unable to choose a rad size to fit a space.

Tony

Spot on. Normally I would cut as I went along. problem is that they expect specific measures. Anyway, progress to date is:

For a 90 end feed elbow (15mm) inpact is 10mm per elbow
For a 90 compression (22mm) impact is 11mm per elbow
For a 90 solder ring (15mm) impact is 15mm per elbow

Its like driving tests - you have to do it "that way" to get the box ticked !!

Fiiting a boiler tomorrrow Jurgen, I'll try it the skoo way and I bet I'm still there when my first pints on the bar.
Good on ya for the facts and figures though I'll wager you had your vernier out :LOL:

Agile - you were spot on.

Didnt bother with a vernier or calculator, got some pipe, couple of fittings and a 600mm rule. Sorted.

At least we all had fun !! I`ll agree that I certainly wont let a pint go flat over this either !!!

Well with that compliment I will give you priority replies when you have any study questions in future!

Which college are you at?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back