another paving question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thanks masona for the web site link , it is very helpful (last post).
However, if I were to take on the task of paving the entire of my back garden, roughly 20 metres by 10 metres, after removing all the junk and leaving just soil, what would be my prepartation to this space? would I order a couple of tons of sand and lay that first, or a sand/cement mix?
Or would I tackle a small area at a time working straight from soil, say do it in 4 sections and complete each section before moving on to the next. It's such a large job and I've never done any competant paving before.
I have no idea as to what to do first, other than to remove all the junk from my garden and level off the top soil.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Pop down to your builder merchants and see what aggregates compactable materials they have available to give you a good sub-base which is easy to work with,if not buy in hardcore /rejects and compact it down then put in dry/wet cement/sand mix on top to stop the hardcore movement then do your normal paving.Some Hire Skip company can supply hardcore for a very reasonable rate,I've brought 2 tons of hardcore for £10.Make sure you have allow the dept for hardcore and paving for your level.

Use a whacker if possible to compact your aggregates and sand, that way your paved area will stay flatter for longer. I laid a patio last year, I used 4in of hardcore with 3in of sharp sand on top. The wacker was only £25 for the weekend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back