Anti Freeze keeps disappering!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a VW Polo 95.

I have had it for 2 years now and every winter (or as soon as the weather gets colder) I have to fill the anti freeze bottle up about every 2-3 days.

This usually lasts until the weather improves.

There are no leaks in the radiator or the anti freeze bottle.

I have put radweld into the bottle on several occasions which usually makes it last upto a week.

My last journey in the car (a couple of weeks ago) the temp gauge on the car got very hot.

I pulled over and put some water (I keep a couple of litres in the boot!) in to bottle. When I open the cap the water was boiling (literally) inside.

This kept it going for the journey home, but just as I parked up the temp gauge was fairly high. When I parked there was smoke coming out of the bonnet (I didn't look where, but can take a guess at the bottle)

ANY ideas?

I have given it to a friend to look at a few times (he is a mechanic) but he insists its not the radiator.

Sponsored Links
Seems to me you've two issues:-
Loss of mixture when antifreeze is added:-
Anti freeze tends to 'thin' the water out and the resultant mixture will find any place to leech out. Whilst your radiator may be OK have you looked along the pipe-runs for stains ? (If e.g. your antifreeze is blue then look for bluish stains) These will indicate where your mixture is leaking. If near the engine any leakage will evaporate so you won't necessarily find a convenient puddle under the car.

The recent overheating/boiling:-
I would suggest you first check/replace the thermostat because the symptoms you describe fit with a thermostat that has ceased to function.
Best of luck

Like the previous poster said, check for leaks from hoses, jubilee clips, water pump, and faulty thermostat.

Have you considered the possibility of a blown head gasket?

Remove your oil filler cap, if there is a substance a bit like mayonnaise inside, this results from moisture being able to penetrate the engine oil making an emulsified yucky mess. Could be an indication of a head gasket problem, however that would be year round.

At a couple of the dealership's I used to work at, we used a fluorescent dye to identify the source of leaks, very handy.

CJ

Sponsored Links
Back