anti gravity valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi people im new here, i have fitted a shower pump to pump the hot water in a house the shower pump is a whole house pump and is working fine the problem i have is the cold water tank on top of the cylinder( fortic tank) is getting warm water in it and then overflowing, would you say i needed a anti gravity valve fitting on the 22mm distribution pipe or could this be the hot water getting to hot and venting? answers soon as would be great

Sponsored Links
So are you saying that you have taken the cold supply for the pump off of the fortic cylinder ??

Edit mis read post :oops:

i have fitted a pump to the 22mm hot pipe coming from the tank but since doing this when the hot water is heated up the vent pipe overflows and lets hot water into the cold tank then this fills the cold tank and that overflows to outside i dont think its the pump that is the problem... no cold on the pump hot water pump only

Have you tried using the pump properly? Are you sure the tank is correctly sized for a full house pump???? Sounds way undersized to me... i.e. shower pump is going to pump water out quicker than it can refill!

The "cold water" on these is generally warm as it sits directly ontop of a hot tank of water!!!!... are you sure the ball valve isnt letting by?

Most places that have a fortic tank have mains cold water at the cold outlets.

Sponsored Links
it is only really pumping a kitchen tap and a bathroom tap as everything else is electric showers etc, i dont think it has anything to do with the pump its like the hot water is expanding more that it did before i know it sounds weird lol some1 said it could be that mains water is passing a tap ie bath tap and filling the hot tank up but surely if the tap is off this could not happen

the ball valve seems to be fine i am thinking the water level may be set to high in the tank and the expansion is sending the water out of the overflow but why is it happening now and not before?

Possibly adding the pump has meant its given it a bit of resistance on the outlet pipe where it would have previously would have expanded.

Dont fit a check valve as this will prevent water expanding up there where it can be "dumped" to safety via the overflow pipe.

If you fit a check valve the expanded water will have nowhere to expand too if all the taps are turned off!!

When useing a shower pump the hot water should not be stored above 60 degs C !

It depends what happening...

If water is expanding up the cold feed pipe from the HWC then no... because its nothing to do with the ball valve is it.

You need to determine where the water is coming from... you should be able to feel the cold feed pipe getting hotter and working its way up to the cold tank if the water is expanding up this pipe.

Is it a direct or indirect tank? If its indirect you might have a split coil.

Very difficult to say what it is without a full description of the plumbing system.

it is a fortic cylinder with a immersion heater thats it no boiler its only for hot water the house is a holiday cottage with storage heaters, the feed/vent pipe as it does the same job in this cylinder , if you put your hand in the header tank you can feel the warm water coming up the pipe and into the tank this then leads to the header tank overflowing cant work out why i was thinking 1 water level to high. 2 immersion heater overheating/ not cutting out at 60/65oc or 3, some how the mains cold water is passing at the bathtap and filling up the hot water but i cant see this myself i think it could be 1 or 2 but my problem is the job is in norfolk and im in manchester about 263 miles away lol

Thats on hell of a area you cover!! ;)

Well if its one or two they are both easy to test...

either reduce the height of the ball valve and see if it still does it - make sure you give it time to fill back up if its backfilling to test it properly.

Or

Turn off the switch to the immersion heater/unwire it if no switch - then try again.

Can you definitely feel the water coming up the pipe... or as you just feeling the water warm up in the header tank which could happen just due to the fact that the tank below it getting hotter

at this moment in time i have the owner down there who is my father in law to be lol he has turned the immersion off and is looking at it in a bit and giving me a ring i only went there to help him out my little 1995 astra van can get down there on £20 of fuel so its cheaper for him if he pays my fuel there and back as he gets work cheap than to call a plumber out from around there. and seen as i have no work on atm i will take what ever money i can

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back