Ants, Ants and more flaming Ants !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, it's definately that time of year again.

My Kitchen is an external elevation to the main structure and as such, doesn't share the main foundations. Under my kitchen floor must be an Ants nest as the little blighters come out of every crevice I can find.

Ive tried powders, sprays and even traps with gooey liquid. These work for all but 4 days, if that, then they're back.

Does anyone know of an effective solution to this problem ?. I can gain access to the nests by ripping off my skirting boards and using the gaps down the side of the floor.
I have been told Battery Acid is effective, but I have a littlun and exposure to this can cause blindness. I'd like a weekend that I don't have to spend filling in gaps with filler etc.
Would like an effective nest killer that would make them think again to re-use it and move next door perhaps ?? :rolleyes:

Cillit Bang kills them instantly though. Strange that ? :)

Sponsored Links
I've always used to use the little white ant house with the poison in the middle but it never seemed to work, now i use the liquid pour a few drops onto a piece of paper and they're there like vultures. few days later no more ants. :LOL: :LOL:

buy a spray called Dethlac
kills all crwalers that come into touch over time
good stuff and not too expenny

I used to use 'Nippon', but didnt find it worked very well, and 2 years ago I bought a product called 'ant stop', it comes in a red trigger gun bottle type, and I have found it to be brilliant, this is my third year with the same bottle.

You spray it on your doorstep by your back door, and along the bottom of the outside wall/house, and if you see any pockets of earth in the corners, specially by your doorstep, spray a bit in there.

It leaves a film, that does not wash away with the rain, and lasts up to 6 months, it acts as a barrier of some sort, and it works everytime with me.

Popped in to see a friend last week, and she was crawling with ants in her kitchen, I popped out and got her a bottle, I spoke to her this morning, and asked how she was getting on with it, and she said they have gone, :eek:

I would not use anything else at the moment, as this seems to do the trick. :D
It cost £4.99, from any garden place, and I got it from sainsburys, so you should have no trouble finding it.

Sponsored Links
One that i have used in the kitchen for the last few years works well, just mix some caster sugar and bicarbonate of soda 50\50 and put it on a saucer somewhere out of the way.

The sugar attracts them, then they eat the bicarb and explode :)

I find Nippon Gel good, you can put it out of the way under the kitchen units and cooker, in plenty of doses and keep it topped up. They carry it back to their nests.

but if you are able to take up the floor, use as much as you want of anything under the floorboards where it's no risk to pets or children.

The spray that turns into a lacquer is good, it soaks in through their feet.

Most importantly, wet-mop the kitchen floor and work surfaces every day. Spilt drinks, juice and petfood attract them and will feed a family of a million ants for a month. If they discover you are leaving food out for them they will come and collect it every day.

Reading somewhere in mag, its suggested to mix some yeast with something else which I can't remember. The idea is that when they take the yeast back to the nest and consume it, it expands in their stomach and blows the blighters.

Worth a try ?? :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back