Ants huge problem!plus black flying ones!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
just bought a house and moved in 2 weeks ago it was left empty for a year ! The front garden is overrun with ants weve cut the grass down as it was 3ft high!Ive bought ant powder and been putting it down however there a what appear to be larger black ants(twice the size of red ones) with wings coming out all over when i apply the powder.Ive gone through quite a few tubs any suggestions of anything else i can do as this is the front garden are these black ants with wings?? or something else.

Sponsored Links
Yep, I would think most people are suffering the same problem at this time of year, however the ant population seems more prolific this year. Obviously conditions are right for ants. Next year it will be whatever bug eats ants.... Hell, we'll be overrun with ant eaters, arrrggghhh :p

I would get to root of the problem and find the nest with the queen. Dig up what ever it takes, the patio, lawn, decking to get rid once and for all. Because they are making a network of tunnels right throughout the year that's getting bigger an bigger and eventually they will start looking for food in your house which is not pleasant. Sound a bit drastic I know but I have had the same problem in the three properties that I have lived in. I started with the powder then the spray then the environmental health but they always come back eventually. Until I decided to find the nest and dispose of it. Could be a bit of work involved but well worth it

Sponsored Links
No need to do as above, you can buy Nipon that they take back to the nest which kills the ants in the nest.

the flying ants are flying after the new queen, the old one will die. no action is required

We've had ants for about 3 weeks now, no idea where they are coming from but they get on the work top, on the skirting boards, coffee table in the living room etc! I heard a while ago on the Simon Mayo show (Radio 2) that there were more and more people having the same problem, advice was that indeed it is the time of year and they would soon be gone, so I just squash the ones I see and hope the rest are on their merry way soon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back