any cure for sloping floors ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope someone can give some advice.

We recently moved into a house (it was built in 1986) and have noticed that the floor in one of the bedrooms and in our ensuite have a noticeable slope on them (both rooms are at the front of the house, and the floors slope towards the back). There is no subsistence in the house, and the other rooms on the same side of the house are fine. I presume that the builders just do a bad/cheap job....

Is there anything that can be done about this, or do we just need to live with it ?

we will be re-vamping the ensuite in a couple of months, so I didnt know if a sloping floor will cause any problems, or if we could somehow rectify this when we are doing the work.

any advice is appreciated....

thanks

Sponsored Links
Presumably you don't want to disturb the ceilings downstairs so I'd be inclined to live with the bedroom slope. For the ensuite you could sister the joists with similar thickness timber of a depth sufficent for the span to get a level base. Bolt the "sisters" to the existing joists with coach screws and timber connectors. I would look in to the cause of the slope. eg has a supporting partition been removed? etc

i was just wondering if weight of the new toilet and wall have added to the problem
do you have any walls on the floor beneath the ensuite!!!!
is it a stud wall in the ensiute!!!

is it a slope or dip!!!

does the slope follow the walls[as in old subsidance "hidden"]!!!

do the floor bounce at all!!!!

Joists may have moved even if the rest of the house is level, check below boards a walls.

Sponsored Links
big-all said:
i was just wondering if weight of the new toilet and wall have added to the problem
do you have any walls on the floor beneath the ensuite!!!!
is it a stud wall in the ensiute!!!

is it a slope or dip!!!

does the slope follow the walls[as in old subsidance "hidden"]!!!

do the floor bounce at all!!!!

the toilet etc was in the house from the start, and are actually on the "higher" oart of the slope. Directly below teh ensuite is the hallway, as it was all built in one go.

The floors do not bounce at all - it all seems quite solid except for the fact that it slopes.....

how much does it slope!!!!
are the floors and ceilings parralel to the slopping floorin the room above or below[measure the floor to ceiling hight in the rooms below and above the slope]!!!!!!!!!

have you asked your neibours [if they have simmilar aged houses]about any trouble!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back