Any idea how old my boiler is?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Wharty, 6 Apr 2018.

1. Wharty

Wharty

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, new here so hello all.

I have what I think is a very old boiler in my house and was wondering if anybody here can tell me how old it is?

Its a Worcester 28 CDI-FSN-GB NAT. GAS COMBI with serial number 77161300178670677455

And another serial number for Bosch quality control is AON 8670 677 455

We have been renting 5 years and the landlord just keeps getting it repaired which isn't a problem.

We are going to be buying the house from the landlord soon so wanted to know if we should be replacing it and if so then would we save some money on our bills with a new boiler?

Thanks, Wharty.

Crewe

2. Sponsored Links
  3. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    if you want to save money, the best payback is usually from improving your insulation and draughtproofing. There aren't many grants or free schemes around now, but keep an eye out. Loft insulation is a cheap and easy (but dusty) DIY job.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. mcmoby69

mcmoby69

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    insulation will make a big difference, boiler is getting on tho now. parts still available .

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Wharty

Wharty

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the responses, appreciated.
    Anybody any idea how old the boiler is and how much more efficient a new one will be?

6. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just phone worcester and quote the serial number and they will tell you

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. imiller9

imiller9

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    FD no 867 July 1998

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Sponsored Links
  9. Last edited by a moderator: 7 Apr 2018
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. D_Hailsham

D_Hailsham

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That's because the compilers of the database depend on manufacturers to keep it up to date.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. DP

DP

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Reading in between the lines, repair will always be a repair. A proper service should restore boiler to near original operation That does not mean you will not have a component failure (this can happen on a boiler out of a box too). Either your landlord (thinks he ) is keeping his costs down by employing repairs who may not understand the fault or the boiler is riddled with faults

My advice to anyone is to get someone who does repairs day in day out, who is not focused on replacing every boiler in sight, knows what controls fit the bill, let him make a suggestion as to which way to go.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rubbish.what is the measure?
    Pump.fan.moving components.scale build up .etc.None of those affected in a service and motors cannot be restored to day 1 condition by a service.

13. DP

DP

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Pray do tell where it says to day 1 condition :whistle:
    Above is my opinion. Service for me is what the MI suggests a service should be. Have been doing that for years, doubt I will call FGA probe measure a service EVER:whistle:

Durhamplumber, perhaps you want to look at boilers like vaillant vcw and early vokera including the boiler in this thread my utterances relate to. Agree modern steamers are almost probe and go and often is when EV and condo trap are overlooked

14. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local