Any idea on how to fasten replacement roof tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone tell me if there's a particular method of fixing replacement concrete roof tiles without having to remove the row of tiles above?

the tiles are plain concrete, 45cm square and about 1cm thick.
there are no features to them e.g flanges,lugs, interlocking thingys.

thanks bikerm4, i'll try what you said.

Sponsored Links
fixer said:
thanks bikerm4, i'll try what you said.

Are we missing a post here? :confused:

How many tiles are you trying to replace? If its only one broken one, you can usually drive wooden wedges under the two tiles in the row above that cover the broken tile. This should allow you to remove the damaged tile and slip in a new one.

nstreet said:
Are we missing a post here? :confused:
From here

I think the only way is to make a L- shape bracket and nut n' bolt them through the nail hole of the roof tile and hook them over the batten

yep Masona,
that would make the tile sit in line with the others.
you'd think a manufacturer would I.D. a need for something like that.

Sponsored Links
I e-mailed the manufacturer of Hardrow and were good enough to send the following details, that my also be of use to others here.
-------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your email. The Hardrow slates on your roof will either hung by two nails over the batten or nailed into the batten depending on the pitch of your roof, exposure of the property or slate size.

As you do not state whether your slates are nailed or hung I will discuss both options.

If your slates are hung over the batten, then this is a simple case of inserting timber wedges under the slates around the broken slate to be removed and replacing the broken slate with a new one which is also hung by two 3.35x40mm aluminium or copper nails.
If your slates are nailed then the replacement slate is replaced the same way as above. However, the nail-holes will need to be re-drilled 25mm above the existing nail-holes to enable the slate to be hung in place this will allow the bottom edge of the slate to line up with the rest of the slates in the course.

Care must be taken in protecting your original slates when doing any remedial work to the roof. We would therefore recommend Cat Ladders are used when accessing the roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back