Any point in fixing this rotten door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Doubt the time and money involved will be worth it? I doubt I can DIY it either.
Im able to almost tear this off with my hands at this point, and its close to going through to the other side totally. (and is rotten on other side)

IMG_20220917_120942.jpg
IMG_20220917_114623.jpg

Sponsored Links
Just one area?
it looks like a genuine old door and would be expensive to replace.
a decent chippy could probably take that apart and replace the damaged portions.
no idea of costs though.

Personally I would find it a shame if you replaced the period door with something more modern.
if you did, the door might get you a bit of cash.

Thanks, I'll compare replacing with repiaring for quotes at least. Ill check other areas.

Is the house period?
you might find a cheap door, but size and appearance could be an issue.

Sponsored Links
If you have time to ramble around a reclamation yard you may be lucky to find a door that will be in better condition to suit - it looks like the same door from an earlier thread you posted regarding a house renovation: is it?

If you have time to ramble around a reclamation yard you may be lucky to find a door that will be in better condition to suit - it looks like the same door from an earlier thread you posted regarding a house renovation: is it?
Yep. Ill try and strip other areas of paint to test if rotten too.

Is it also a carpeneter who has the best chance to identify exactly what type of wodden/vinyl/plastic flooring I have throughout the house? I tried upping photos here, but it was hard to say. I had 4 different types. I will offer £20 just to look round the house briefly after getting a door quote from one. Assuming carpenters are the best choice? Thanks

Just seen a decorator repairing a wooden door, worse than yours. They were using this companies products:

Repair care

I have no knowledge of it, but the repair looked top notch, now it's painted.

What colour have you decided on?

I was going to suggest using epoxy resins to splice in new timber but the door looks seriously warped. Is that really a 2 inch gap at the top of the door?

Just seen a decorator repairing a wooden door, worse than yours. They were using this companies products:

Repair care

I have used RepairCare epoxy resins but tend to buy the Timbabuild epoxies. They are 25(?)% cheaper, and the metal dispensing gun is half the price. That said the ReairCare range is wider, they have epoxies that will cure at 5 degrees centigrade.

Had a look at the product Mr. Chibs recommended and i wonder how it'd work on a door where the damage has gone right through?
At this time of year you'd have to leave it overnight as it'd take at least eight hours to set.
It looks very handy to have around, though.

Repair care

Ah a light green close to the current colour. I will do white literally everwhere else including the window sills, seems to go well with the orange.

I was going to suggest using epoxy resins to splice in new timber but the door looks seriously warped. Is that really a 2 inch gap at the top of the door?
Tbh I could easily kick through that damage above the handle, if I had a workmans hand strength I could easily rip throughy to the other side with my bare hands... thats how bad it is there, im not even slightly exagerating.

Had a look at the product Mr. Chibs recommended and i wonder how it'd work on a door where the damage has gone right through?
When that happens the only viable approach is to replace the damaged element(s). Structural timber elements such as rails and stiles cannot be replaced by plastic ' a bit like sills on a car

The product still requires bad timber to be cut/scraped out, any suspect timber to be treated with wood hardener, splice pieces cut and fitted (snug fit, no big), then then the resin used. So just a bit more than a ten minute job! These resins tend to be used on non-structural components such as outer window sills on sash windows, etc. They add no strength to the item being repaired, so they really aren't suitable for a front door

OP - there door is cream crackered - either have a proper structural repair done by a bench joiner if you can't do it yourself, or replace it. Faffing about with (expensive) resins cannot restore the required structural strength to a door

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back