Any point in fixing this rotten door?

@JobAndKnock is spot on, and you've already said it's beyond your DIY skills. So how deep are your pockets?

If the door fits the frame well, isn't twisted, then you need to look for a joiner with a workshop, not a jobbing chippy who works from a van. They will dice and slice the door, repair and replace the structural parts, and refit it. Of course, you might be without a door for a day or so.

Alternative is to have a new door made. Think £500-1000. The advantage is you can be creative and design something in keeping with the building, but utterly unique. It will fit properly and you have a better chance at draught proofing it.

Plan C is to replace the frame and door with a composite one. More energy efficient, but expect £1500 with fitting.

Your mileage may vary depending on where you are in the country.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately Ive phones every door repair and joinery in my city, I only managed to get 1 guy to even turn up but never came back with a quote..
am left with an even uglier door for when I sell/rent now, wish id not ripped that chunk out to see how rotten it was.. damn it.

You could just get someone to fit an exterior grade flush door for you (assuming you lack the skills to DIY). Loses the character, but keeps the cold and damp out

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately Ive phones every door repair and joinery in my city, I only managed to get 1 guy to even turn up but never came back with a quote..
am left with an even uglier door for when I sell/rent now, wish id not ripped that chunk out to see how rotten it was.. damn it.
I'd guess the guy didn't reply because he could see it would take a lot of time and cost more to repair than buy a replacement door.
Take the hint.
Shop around and see what you can find. There's a good selection of traditional doors on the market or, as previously said, reclamation yards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back