Any specific regs about gas fire in a bedroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're planning to open up a fireplace in a bedroom and have a DFE gas fire fitted - low power (4.5kw) as it's just for effect rather than much heat. I know because it's < 7, it normally wouldn't need an air brick, but are there any special rules about vents because it's a bedroom - a builder I know thought so, and no doubt the gas fitter will tell me when he comes, but I'd like to know for sure. Also, are there any other specific rules about gas in bedrooms?

Sponsored Links
It has to have an ASD (atmosphere sensing device) and you are strongly advised to get a good carbon monoxide detector.

Standard ventilation requirement for any dfe is a 100cm squared, but MI's can overule this and I have found lately that they are doing so.

I am not exactly in favour of what you are doing. I would advise the use of a proper co detector not just an orange dot and the 100cm ventilation regardless of MI's.

Let me put it this way, I don't have a gas fire at all even in the lounge. I come across spillage of products of combustion into the room all the live long day. Only earlir this week I had to cap one off until I get time to get up on the roof and see what has got lodged in the chimeny. Either that or the isnatller was a cowboy. Happens all the time.

I think you're mad.

Have you read the news lately?

I agree with Paul regarding Gas Fires in Bedrooms I think you'd be mad to fit one.

I wouldn't have one in my bedroom or any of my bedrooms. Even with an ASD.

Yes you could get an Electronic CO detector but if the detector fails for what ever reason and you don't realise (how many times have you checked your smoke alarms lately?), if CO is spilling into the bedroom you're looking at a possible death. Might look lovely and romantic in the room but its just not worth the risk in my opinion but, its just my opinion.

Sponsored Links
If you go ahead and fit the fire install a CO alarm.

In light of recent events it appears the safety devices fitted to open flue appliances may not be as effective as claimed. Remember most DFE's are designed to produce yellow flames (ie plenty of carbon monoxide). This is contrary to all other gas appliances.

just out of interest why the heck would wanna fire in a bedrooma anyway?

its it to impress a very sexy ladiee friend?

barry white
Pomange
white rug
and a flickering death trap in the corner

a reciepe for luuuuurrrvvvee ohhh yeah ;)

kevplumb said:
well i tought you well falla

it worked for your mammy ;)

aww dad if it werent for you smooth tongue and fourteen pints of badger brown I would not be here

sniff

;)

wottttt

images

DO NOT FIT AN OPEN FLUED GAS APPLIANCE IN A BEDROOM .

I have just saved your LIFE !

arfurrrr said:
DO NOT FIT AN OPEN FLUED GAS APPLIANCE IN A BEDROOM .

I have just saved your LIFE !

I agree but that aint what the regs say matey

You have to get your priorities right. Run as many gas pipes through cavity's as you like to a fire, fit a fire in a bedroom, use as innefficient a fire as you wish, but whatever you do don't leave your condensate pipe unlagged or corgi will be down on you like a ton of bricks.

As I keep saying the electrical rules credit sparkies with intelligence. Corgi go Baar, barr, and we are expected to run after them going barr barr.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back