Anybody help me ID a fork?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A more strange request I have not seen in a long time. Well, at least since Granny asked me to free her left nipple from the mangle in 1976....

Anyhow, I have dug up an old silver table fork from our garden, quite deep. The area was farmland before the houses were built, and according to the neighbour, there were outhouses on our land. How old this fork is is intruiging me.

The fork has 4 stamps.

A. The top one comprises the capitals "WP" inside a diamond (well, not quite: more a square on its corners, if you like), and the whole is inside a shield shape.

I think this is the makers mark, and have found there appears to be a maker with those initials hailing from the Edinburgh area.

B. The next is a capital "B" on its side (with the down-stroke horizontal and the curvature upwards) within a square with rounded-off corners.

The font appears to be Serif and again, according to my research so far (if the Edinburgh origin is correct) is a date stamp equating to 1781.

C. The next mark is quite indistinct. It looks a bit like a butterfly on its side, within a rectangle with rounded-off corners.

The Edinburgh mark (if this is the Assay Office Mark) is three castles, and is vaguely similar, but not identical.

D. The last stamp is again a square on its corners, like a diamond but not elongated with what looks like two characters within. To my untrained eye, it could be "R" something, but the first character takes up most of the space, and the other is smaller, and higher, rather like "R²".

Can anybody help? Or am I just a sad geek?

Knowing my luck, it'll turn out to be a common piece made in the 60's lost during a 70's picnic.........

Maybe I need the knowledge of an antiques dealer. Can't find huge amounts on the hallmark system on the net. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places.

Sponsored Links
Well you missed a glorious opportunity for a witty post title there - "What the fork is this?" :LOL:

If you can post a photo, I can think of a couple of people to show it to. The first is my grandfather, who is a retired jeweller/watchmaker, so he's pretty up on silver hallmarks and so on, the second is a friend of mine, Colin Young, who runs an auctioneers here in Grantham and often crops up on BBC's "Bargain Hunt" as an expert.

It`s a pie eaters fork from a Workhouse...WP =Workhouse Property......Pie..Rsquared :eek:

Sponsored Links
as far as i can recall there are always four stamps on a hallmark, i know theres one for the office which does it, one for the metal, and one for the year, but i cant remember the last one. The symbols change on regular basis for the years. A jeweller or an auction house should be able to tell you

Thanks, everybody, nine especially for his kind offer of some qualified bodies.

I've shot the fork, but can't seem to get perfect clarity. This is the best I can do. Hope it's good enough, but I fear not.

fork1.JPG

fork3.JPG

EDIT: Sorry it's so huge (Ooh, err!). I did try to reduce the image size to fit the host's maximum....

Is this any better?

fork4.JPG

The image looked better on preview than the posted article, but if it helps at all, I'll leave it.

Don't want to dampen your spirit, but judging by the colour and lack of the rampant lion assay mark its more than likely not aterling silver unless its pre 17/18th Century. IMO its plated, but i'm not an expert.

yep its a fork, does that help.... :D

any old iron, any old iron, any any any old iron....... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Cheers, hotman, I'd got as far as that..... :LOL:

n, not bothered if it is valuable or not, just interested as to its age and origin, that's all.

securespark said:
B. The next is a capital "B" on its side (with the down-stroke horizontal and the curvature upwards) within a square with rounded-off corners.

Early Burger-King.

Well I've emailed your pics to Colin to see what he makes of it, and grandad will no doubt drop by for a cuppa at the weekend so I'll show him then.

However, to my untrained eye it looks similar to the table cutlery my other grandparents used to have, so at a guess I'm thinking 50s/60s mass produced. In which case probably a disappointment for you, but I'll let you know as soon as I get an answer...

We found a couple of items in our back garden, similar in style to this. I will try to find them and take a snap of them. They aren't forks if i remember rightly, but hey, we could have a matching set on our hands here! ;)

Sponsored Links
Back